ericclewis

Set E1000 as an Access Point

I am wanting to setup my E1000 as an access point to an internet connected wired network so I can access the computers on the wired network and the internet. I attempted to use the Linksys "Guide Me" support, but it directed me to how to on another type of router using a different firmware. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Eric

oook

Re: Set E1000 as an Access Point

Who is your internet service provider?

Are you using any modem or router before E1000?

JAP
JAP

I'm having the same problem... Can someone advise?  Thanks

dudztgp

If you would like to setup your E1000 as an access point, here's the procedure.

vpanta

Unfortunately, neither that guide nor this one works for setting up this router as an Access Point.  I've tried just about everything I can think of, and I can't seem to get anything to work.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

dudztgp

What's your modem? Is it also a router? If your modem doesn't have a router function, Internet-LAN setup should be ok. If your modem is also a router, then LAN-LAN setup should be done.

On the link provided, there are two different setup. Make sure not to mix it up.

vpanta

The modem is a router as well (and has wireless), but I bought this for an N-network.  The wireless on the modem is disabled, but unfortunately the ISP didn't give me the information for accessing the settings on the Modem itself.  However when I follow those simple instructions (changing the AP's IP to something unused in the subnet, disabling NAT (and enabling Dynamic Routing), and disabling the DHCP server), it doesn't work.  I don't know if I need something more to make it work.

dudztgp

Connect directly to the modem. On your computer, open command prompt. Run ipconfig. If not too much, please post the result here.
vpanta

Note that below when I say router I mean the modem/router

Assuming you wanted to know what the DHCP was assigning, it should be assigning the lower half of the 100s (it assigned 192.168.1.101).  Gateway and DNS are set to the router itself.

Messing some more with it, it seems like it might actually be the E1000 blocking on it's LAN switch.  Something connected behind it won't get DHCP, but if I manually assign it an address then I can hit both the E1000 and the router, but no DNS.  Right now I'm thinking the E1000 is blocking DNS and DHCP requests.  I'd tried turning off the firewall and unchecking everything as well, but no dice.

dudztgp

[ Edited ]

It sounds like E1000 is not letting the modem/router's DHCP to assign IP address. If that's the case, just setup E1000 as a wireless router instead. What you have currently is LAN-LAN connection.

The modem/router stays as is. You need Internet-LAN connection. It's on the link I provided but somewhere in the middle of the page.