downthemiddle

Set up of Model WRT54G2 Router

I have setup new Linksys Wireless router Model WRT54G2 on new desktop with Windows Vista. I set up the network to be with security (WPA/WPA2) and have printed out sheet showing security key, router password etc. My problem is: When I go to use my laptop computer the network is not secure. I don't have to put in a password to get on the network. Should I use the disk that came with the software and reinstall the router or is there a setting on the desktop computer where I can go and activate the Security?

Re: Set up of Model WRT54G2 Router

Here is a set of instructions to follow to make sure your wireless is set-up correctly.

Setting up your wireless connection in your router.

*** Step #5 = you can choose the type of encryption that fits your set-up, the example I give is: WPA/TKIP+AES

***Also Pay close attention to the security and security key information and make sure it matches. (What is entered in the router must be entered in the computer.

1.Open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar.

2.You will now get a sign-in box, User Name = (Leave Blank)

Password = admin (all lower case letters)

3.Once the set-up page opens, click on the Wireless Tab as youwill need to change the settings. A) Wireless Network Mode = Mixed

B) Wireless Network Name (SSID) = Choose any name and do not use Linksys.

C) Wireless Channel = 1, 6 or 11 is best, so see which work best for you.

D) Wireless SSID Broadcast = Enabled.

4. Now go to the bottom of the page and click on save settings.

5. Click on the Wireless Security Sub tab.

A) Security Mode: WPA

B) WPA Algorithms: TKIP + AES

C) WPA Shared Key:  Type 24 letters, and numbers using lower and upper case letters

D) Group Key Renewal: 3600

6. Once again go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Settings.

7. Now you can close out of this page.

8. You will now need to enter the security info into your computer. I will now give you 2 links, depending which operating system you have, Vista or XP you will follow the one you have.

Vista = http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-adapter-configuration-in-vista.html

XP = http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-adapter.html

Now try to make a wireless connection.

Good Luck,

Ttech

downthemiddle

Thanks for your quick response to my request. I have printed out the instructions that were in your reply and have done the following:

Opened IE7 Internet Explorer and typed in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and message came back saying could not find page. (I double checked to be sure had correct numbers in address bar) and tried it three times and same message came up. I was definitely connected to internet as I could go to anyother web page) I also have Firefox 3 browser installed on computer and same message came back that could not locate the web page and suggested that I might not be connected to web (I have DSL fastest access available on ATT network and I was connected because other web pages would come up)

I used Internet Explorer browser when I installed the Router. I might add that I have had some problems with IE browser freezing and I recall when I finished the installation of the browser that in order to close the browser I had to go to Ctrl - Alt - Delete and activate the Task Manager and close the browser. Could it be possible that
that some of the information did not get saved to the desktop?

I do not have problem closing Firefox or Opera browsers.

Thanks for your help and would appreciate any
other help you might give me that would solve my problem

Make sure that the wireless computer you are trying to set up with wireless is connected with an Ethernet cable , just for the wireless set-up, then remove when finished. See if that works and let me know what happens.

Ttech
downthemiddle

I'm a little confused. I have a desktop computer that I installed the software on for the router. The router is connected to the desktop.

The Dell laptop (wireless) has a wireless card that was installed by Dell before I purchased the computer.

Are you saying I should bring the laptop and connect it to the router DSL connection instead of having DSL connected to the desktop?

Yes, but just plug it into one of the routers other ports.

Ttech
downthemiddle

I have hooked the laptop to the router and turned the power on the laptop and it connected to the internet at 100 mps and the Linksys wireless connection at approx. 50 Plus mps. so the ethernet card is there and working.

I want to be sure I get this thing right. I went to the address bar on the laptop and typed in 192.168.1.1 and a google web page came up with several different web pages on it but none where I could sign in.

I'm 85 and not as sharp as I use to be with these computers. When I hooked up the laptop did you intend for me to put the disk in the CD Rom and make a complete installation. I started to do that, but thought I should check with you before doing so. If so, should I try to remove the Linksys connection that is already there before I start the installation?

Thanks for your help.

Continue to leave the Ethernet cable connected to the laptop, remember this is only temporarily for the wireless set-up , once we are done then you can remove it.

Also do not use the CD at all, because we are going to set it up manual without the CD.

If when you type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar of Internet Explorer and receive web pages, then we need to find out what the Default gateway is, so follow the steps below.

Ok, I need you to open the command prompt. (This step is important as we need to access the linksys set-up page to enter/obtain certain info to enter into the wireless laptop)

Go to start>>run>> type: cmd  and click Ok>> the command prompt box will open>> type: ipconfig /all >>scroll down to you see the default gateway and let me know what that number is, also that is the number you should type into the address bar. It should look like: 192.168.x .x (x.x will be numbers on your machine).

Ttech

Bflores

I think that I am having the same problem, kinda... I just got a laptop today, but have had the router for a few weeks hooked up to two desktops.  The laptop has a wireless card and will not connect to my wireless network because I don't have the network key and am unsure where to find it.  When I typed in the address that you gave and followed the instructions, it said that there had to be a username. 

To Bflores, the wireless key can be found under the wireless tab>>then click on the wireless security sub tab, thats where it will be.

The user name is left blank, do not type anything in and the password is:  admin.
You should re-read the post again.

Good Luck,
Ttech