Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
miky21

Setting Up 2 Wireless Routers on the Same Network

Hello everyone -

I'm trying to see if I can use one of my old WRT54GS v.5 wireless router as a wireless adapter.

I'm trying to set up my old router so it can connect to the internet via my new wireless router which is an AT&T 2Wire router.  

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks

ekendraed

Re: Setting Up 2 Wireless Routers on the Same Network

In my home I have the Linksys WAG54G2 as the modem/router which is WIRED to the US Robotics 9108, that is situated in another part of the house.

Do the following;

1. Note down the IP Address of your AT&T (192.168.1.1), the DHCP range, SSID and Channel.

2. In the AT&T set the DHCP range to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254

3. On the Linksys turn-off the DHCP server and set the SSID the same as for the AT&T

4. Use a different Channel ( I use the same for both)

5. Set the IP Address of the Linksys (say) to 192.168.1.40. Make a note of this IP Address as you will have to use this IP Address to access the Linksys from your PC.

6. Wire the two routers via the LAN ports leaving the WAN port of Linksys unused.

Good luck. This information is given is good faith as it works for me

forsaken

Re: Setting Up 2 Wireless Routers on the Same Network

You can set-up 2 router's in the same network but you cannot use your WRT54GS router as a Wireless Adapter with Linksys Firmware...You need to use a firmware that is other than Linksys in order to do so...

To set-up 2 Linksys Router's together(LAN to LAN) see the link here , follow the link that says "Cascading the Linksys Router to Another Linksys Router (LAN-LAN)"