light82

Setting Up Secured Network

I Hope I can Explain this correctly.......

We have a MAIN Router of a WRT54G version 6....and an adapter on my computer of WUSB54G version 4.  

I have gone through the steps of restoring the main Router to factory defaults on the back of the router and entering the IP address for the WEB setup of securing the network.   I go so far as to enter the NEW Password it accepts it under the WRT54G . 

Then I am asked to re-enter the new password and I get The WRONG model number associated with the password.   The Web page shows Model WRT150N.  We have no such Router or Adapter on the computers.  

I go and RESET the Main Adapter again and it continues to show the WRT150N Router on the Web Page to Secure My Network.  

I have also Reset the IP Address under Configuration  thinking that may be the proble.  

I have tried this many many times and it will show the WRT54G to change the password then when I log Back in it shows the WRT150N Adapter.  

Is there a reason why this happens?  

I know someone in the neighborhood is using my Wireless Signal and I want to secure mine.  

**************************************************************************************************

Second Question......

When I go to secure the network.....Do I change ALL of the information on the Main Router of WRT54G for the Password, SSID, WPA etc. Using THAT Computers IP ADDRESS? 

Then do I create the secured one on my Adapter of WUSB54 using the GREEN Icon in my bar as it is explained in the help area? 

Maybe I am reading how to do this wrong  and that is why I am having so much trouble. 

Or, will I need to RELOAD the Router Again on the main computer then reload the Adapter on mine? 

I am hoping someone can explain this to me. 

Thank You

Expert
Expert

Re: Setting Up Secured Network

Most important question first: do you do any configuration of your router through a wired connection to the router? Do not configure your router through wireless. It may well be that the WRT150N is your neighbor's...
light82

Right now the router has been set to the factory default by pressing the RESET button in the back of the router....

GV, I am so sorry I do not understand what you mean by.......configuration of your router through a wired connection to the router......Do you mean using the Web Page to secure the network?  

Has the neighbor TAPPED into mine then?

So, If I am not to configure through the wireless web page then how do I set up a secured network? 

Do I need to remove the router and adapter from the computers remove all the information from my hard drive then load it again and do the secure set up on reload? 

If I need to reload the router and adapter then…………….

When I go to secure the network.....Do I change ALL of the information on the Main Router of WRT54G for the Password, SSID, WPA etc. Using THAT Computers IP ADDRESS?

Then do I create the secured one on my Adapter of WUSB54 using the GREEN Icon in my bar as it is explained in the help area?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions for me.....

brickmonkey

Do not try to configure the router from the wireless computer..Connect the Computer to the router on the Ethernet Port..Now,try to open the setup page of the router by typing 192.168.1.1 in the address bar...Now,reconfigure all the settings on the router.I would also suggest you to change the router password for the security purpose under Administration tab.
Expert
Expert

After the reset, wire a computer to your router, i.e. use a ethernet cable and connect your computer to one of the numbered LAN ports of your router. Then open the web interface http://192.168.1.1/ no username, default password after reset "admin".

In the web interface configure your router and secure it. In particular, change the router password "admin" on the Administration page and setup your own SSID on the Wireless page. Also secure the wireless network on the Wireless Security page with WPA2 Personal and a strong passphrase.

Using a ethernet cable for configuration is important to make sure you are configuring your own router and not someone else's. After you have secured your router you can always connect to your network wirelessly.

After you have set up you reconfigure the USB adapter for your wireless network and that should be it.

The router cannot be "reloaded" or similar. A router is a standalone device.