Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jenniferleighr

Setting up a Used Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GS v.2 to imac

Hello

I got this router from someone. It has not been used in a while . It is a Linksys Router WRT54GS v.2. I would just like to setup a  hard wire to iMac 5.1 and the OS is 10.5.8 and I would like to hardwire the other Mac PowerMac G4  OS 10.3.9.

Can anyone help me set it up.

I know how it physically is setup but it still does not contact.

Thank you

Jennifer

shor123

Re: Setting up a Used Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GS v.2 to imac

I will be happy to help you. It is quite simple.

First boot up your PC, and plug an ethernet wire into the PC and one of the ports in the back of the router. Then power up the router and wait for all the lights to cycle. Make sure you have internet connected to the router as well. Now locate a very small recessed red button on the back of the router. Press and hold the button using a pen point. Hold it in for about 30 seconds. This resets your router to default setting and erases any possible password. Let the router cycle up.

Now open your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 only. Hit enter and you should see a log on screen.

You simply type the default user name and password which is "admin". Hit enter and you should see the entire setup page for the router.

You should have internet access not but your router is not secure yet so don't close this page.

First go to the administration tab and enter a password. If you ever forget the password simply reset the router again.

YOU MUST SAVE SETTING AFTER EVERY CHANGE.

I would advise that you do a firmware upgrade only if you are not happy with the performance. Leave well enough be for now.

Now not knowing what your intentions are for wireless you need to set this up so I will assume you want the wireless function to work.

Click on wireless and then the basic tab....Type a network name in for SSID. Enabling SSID allows anyone to see this router network. So choose whatever you wish here. SAVE SETTINGS!!  Next we will give it a password to access

Click on wireless secuity and select WPA2 Personal. Next for the shared key you want to enter a strong password. This is the password you will need to access the internet via this wireless router. So if anyone sees your SSID that is fine they still need this password to access. Dont worry about the other tabs. The default is fine for now. SAVE SETTINGS!!

Now go to your secuity tab and the firewall tab and click enable. SAVE SETTINGS!! Dont worry about VPN.

Next go to access restriction tab and make sure that is disabled. SAVE SETTINGS IF YOU CHANGE ANTHING!!

That is the basic and pretty much all you need for basic use...

This is one of the best routers Linksys ever made, in my opinion so enjoy!!

shor

jenniferleighr

Re: Setting up a Used Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GS v.2 to imac

Hello

Thank you for your help. I got it working. There is one thing with a MAC I had to do and that was enable in the Linksys 192.168.1.1

Clone the MAC

Thank you

Jennifer