vmelo

Setting up a password?

Hi! I currently have my network set up as unsecured, but I'd like to change that. How do I go about setting up a password for my network?

Thanks!
Ikester

Re: Setting up a password?

Depending on what router (model/version) you have go into the wireless tab and in there should be a sub-tab called security.  There you can select what ever security your eevices can support.  WPA and WPA2 are recommended if all of your devices/pc's support it.  Also make sure your SSID is set to something other then linksys and you can identify it.  Since you are alreay there make sure your router has the latest firmware installed.  You can get the latest firnware at the Linksys web site for your routers model/version.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Aerrin

I currently have a WPA password set on my router, but I'd like to change it to a WEP password so I can connect an old laptop to the wireless network. When I try to use a WEP password, my newer laptops say "Not Connected" when I try to connect to the network. What am I doing wrong?
Ikester

Did you try to connect the newer Laptop/pc with the wep key?

Richard Aichner (Ikester)
bjsy

Hi, I have exactly the same question of how to change my router to a status preventing others from accessing it without a password. So please tell me a detailed instruction of how to set up a password to only allow myself and my friends to use my network.