Loganleej

Setting up an external hard drive on a Linksys E4200

[ Edited ]

I just bought a Linksys E4200 from bestbuy tonight, mostly for the feature of plugging my hard drive into it to use it as a media server, and being able to read & write to it from any computer on my network.  I have searched for hours on end trying to fix my problem.  I login to my router (at 192.168.1.1), I go to the storage tab, I then click the "Create Share" button next to my WD hard drive in the list and nothing happens. Ive tried this on four different computers, and three different browsers now to no avail. So does anyone know whats wrong? Or how to fix it? If not im gonna just take it back to bestbuy I guess. 

Some random information:

Computer: Dell XPS 420

Router: Linksys E4200

Hard Drive: WD 1TB

ridcully

Re: Setting up an external hard drive on a Linksys E4200

Try to upgrade/re-flash the firmware on your router.

Connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable. Download the latest firmware from Linksys website and save it on your computer. Open the setup page of the router and upgrade the firmware on your router.

After upgrading the firmware on your router, reset the router and reconfigure it.

Press and hold the reset button on the router for 30 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 30 seconds. Power cycle the router and reconfigure it.

Follow this link to setup USB drive connected to E4200 router.

Loganleej

Meh, After 4 hours of trying to get it to work I just decided to take it back and get an airport extreme. Thanks for helping though ridcully. 

arriaza70

[ Edited ]
rdanella61

[ Edited ]

Restricted Article Access Denied document id:0868d4e24a6a468280c3cf270c1d6a31_21517.xml

I see this every time i click that link.  any suggestions?

ejohnson53

I am having the same problem. I first tried connecting a Seagate GoFlex 1TB prtable HD and nothing happened. Followed the instrucitons through the Cisco Connect software and it didn't even appear in the list of availaable drives. I thought it might have been because it was USB 3.0 so I tried an older Seagate prtablew hard drive.

BIG MISTAKE.

Connecting a portable hard drive completely crashed the router. Lost all connectivity. Cisco Connect froze up. All my wireless connections (printer, iPod TOuch, wife's laptop, etc).

Tried to reset the router and it did not fix the problem. Had to disconnect the portable hard drive and then the router functioned again. I  killed all the autorun software ion the hard drive and tried again. Same thing: E4200 siezed up.

It appears the E4200 does not support portable hard drives. You will be dissappointed if you expect this alledged functionality to work.

panzies4panties

Support told me they are aware of the issue and will be releasing a firmware update soon. Fingers crossed.

msgBldr

I'm having a similar problem.

I can find the drive using \\192.168.1.1\elements or \\Disneyland\elements. The drive consistently appears in the MyComputer Explorer window in the folder pane.

I can also map the drive to Z: for example. But the mapping will disappear after a few minutes. This is true for both win 7 wireless and win xp wired.

Suggestions? Is this the same problem?

tia... Bob

Bob Bailey
msgBldr

My problem is solved. ymmv

I'm using NetworkDriveManager which has the drives mapped internally. Whenever NDM does a refresh he knocks the new setting out.

The clue that I got involved a thread with "Net Use..."

...Bob

Bob Bailey
shixiong

It seems E4200 does NOT support portable external hard drive. I tried several. Talked with supporter, but they don't know.