Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
banditracer

Setting up router on a chromebook

Going to be buying a Acer 720 Chromebook soon, there's no cd drive on them so how do I get it to work with our WRT160N v3 router ?

Expert
sabretooth

Re: Setting up router on a chromebook

You don't need any CD.  Just go to 192.168.1.1 username blank, password 'admin' and configure your router.

Sarah221

Are there other devices working? If yes, there is no need to worry. You don’t have to configure the router to a new computer. All you need are the wireless settings (SSID and password) to connect a new computer.

banditracer

Yes there's still other laptops using the router. Our laptop hard drive failed and since all we really use it for is internet thought a chromebook would be worth a try. 

I can't get into the router using the  "admin"  way but I can using user name and password. Can I still do what I need to do accessing it that way ?

I'm a computer dummy so I may be back asking for more detailed help once the chromebook gets here, 1-3 week wait for shipping.

Expert
sabretooth

Then all you have to do is enter your password when you try to connect to your SSID.  It's the same for all your computers.  If you don't know this you will need to access the web gui and look up the password in the router.  If you don't know the wireless password or the router's gui password, you will have to hard reset the router and start from scratch.

blue_butterfly

If you have the wireless password, then this link will serve as your guide on how to connect your Chromebook to the network: http://goo.gl/V6SXeB

banditracer

Help !  I got the chromebook today, it found the wireless network fine but I don't know the router password. I don't think it's one I made, can't find it written down anywhere and it's 16 characters, nothing I would have used has 16. 

How do I find the gui ? I've been googleing with no luck so far.

banditracer

I need the password that's in the router from the factory, I can get in to the router settings ok. I've tried changing the password too but it doesn't  work. Says it was successful but same 16 black blocks still showing in the password boxes.

Expert
sabretooth

If you don't know the password you will have to hard reset the router and reconfigure it back manually.

banditracer

I figurerd it out, wasn't a 16 character password, only ten, don't know why they show 16.