Neoburn1035

Setting up second router as a wired access point.

I have two routers a WRT54GL and a BEFW11S4. I want to use the BEFW11S4 as a internet access point for my media PC I want to use the wireless just to connect to the WRT54GL to acces the internet only not to extend the signal. I do not want an wireless devies to access the BFEW11S4 only wired devices how do I do this? I have the newest firmware on each. See Image.
toomanydonuts

Re: Setting up second router as a wired access point.

First of all, are you sure you really need 2 routers? Your WRT54GL does wireless plus everything that your BEFW11S4 will do (after you turn off its wireless). Why not simply eliminate the BEFW11S4 from your network?

On the other hand, if you need a double router setup so you can locate your wireless access in a different part of the house, then read on:

I assume that you want all computers to be on the same network, and to share printers, and possibly files. Is that correct?

If so, then first, set up your BEFW11S4 in the usual way, except turn off the wireless.  This converts it to a wired router.

Next you need to convert your wireless router (WRT54GL) to a WAP (wireless access point). To do this, disconnect your wireless router from everything except one computer that is wired to it, then do the following in the wireless router:

1) Set the "Local IP address" to 192.168.1.2 (assuming you are not using this fixed LAN IP address elsewhere in your system, and assuming your wired router is using address 192.168.1.1 ).

2) Set the "DHCP server" to "disabled".

3) Save your settings.

Then wire any LAN port on the wired router (BEFW11S4), to any LAN port on the wireless router (WRT54GL). Do not connect anything to the Internet port on the wireless router.

Your wired router will control most of your router settings (DHCP server, firewall, port forwarding, etc.). Your wireless router will only control your wireless settings.
Neoburn1035

What I really want to do is to use the BEFW11S4 downstairs for my media pc to access the network wirelessly. I would like to keep the WRT54GL the way it is to handle all the traffic for the network . I would like not to use the BEFW11S4 as an ascess point for any wireless devices just fo the media pc to acces the nework wirelessly. iIs this possible? I do not have the ability to run a network cable from the office to the media room without a lot of work. Is there and easyier cheap way of doing this?

Thanks for the help.
ridcully

I don't think that you required two routers for your set up .....you can only keep WRT54GL for the wired & wireless access ....it will provide all the settings as provided by BEFW11S4 .

Still if you want to use both routers ...... disable the wireless of BEFW11S4 .....use it as a wired router & use WRT54GL for wireless connectivity.
toomanydonuts

I think ridcully is right.  It looks like the best way to setup your system is to use the WRT54GL.   Eliminate the BEFW11S4.  Let the media PC access the WRT54GL wirelessly.

If you don't think that this will work for you, please explain why.