Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
macgotti

Setting up wifi in dorm

[ Edited ]

Hey I just bought the wrt160n v3 to set up in my dorm. The set up went very smoothly and thought everythig was working. My SSSID was being broadcasted w perfect signal but when I tried to connect to it it would not let me. My Ethernet is connected from the cable jack in the wall into the back of the router. My college uses the company/program Reznet and something made my cisco called nac for internet connections. Just wondering what I need to do. Other kids on my floor have routers but could not fox my problem. I use a laptop as my primary computer. Any help would **bleep** nice! Thanks

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

macgotti

Re: Setting up wifi in dorm

?
Wizzard

What is the operating system on your wireless computer? Do you get any error message while connecting to the wireless network?

Connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable.

Make sure that you can access the Internet when hard wired to the router. Open the internet browser and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.1 . Log in to the router setup page. the default password of Linksys router is admin, leave the user name blank.

Go to Wireless tab and set the configuration view to manual.

Change the wireless network name SSID and change the wireless channel to 11. Save the settings.

Go to Wireless security sub tab. Change the security mode to WPA/WPA2 and enter the password for the wireless network.

Click on Wireless MAC filter sub tab and make sure that it is disabled. Now try to connect to the new wireless network.

tbragsdale

[ Edited ]

macgotti wrote:

Hey I just bought the wrt160n v3 to set up in my dorm. The set up went very smoothly and thought everythig was working. My SSSID was being broadcasted w perfect signal but when I tried to connect to it it would not let me. My Ethernet is connected from the cable jack in the wall into the back of the router. My college uses the company/program Reznet and something made my cisco called nac for internet connections. Just wondering what I need to do. Other kids on my floor have routers but could not fox my problem. I use a laptop as my primary computer. Any help would **bleep** nice! Thanks

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

1) something made my cisco called nac.

Sure thats not NAT?

2) When you connect directley to the LAN port provided by the doom, check your IP address.

ipconfig /all

3) If this address happens to be somthing like 192.168.1.x then the DEFAULT subnet on Linksys routers is the same subnet.  So, your WAN out on the Linksys is trying to nat your private addresses 192.168.1.x to public 192.168.1.x.

4) Presumeing your connection out, the jack in the wall, is on DHCP, your router should be picking up everything from the campus (Doom) DHCP server, however, check the default gatway/DNS servers when dirctley connected to the doorm network, then check the same on the router when it is connectd to the dorm network.

Need more information.  Report back with the IPCONFIG with a computer directley connected to the dorm network.