jsrobison

Re: Share your experience with Cisco Connect Cloud

[ Edited ]

opheliaimmortal23 wrote:

Hi there. After the power outage and without the router connected to your modem, can your computer get online directly connected to your modem? Have you tried to reset your router or anything like that?

Reread his complaint.  He does not have internet access due to downed wires.  His generator gives him power but there is no connection to his ISP who probably doesn't have power.

In this situation a CCC router becomes useless if you need to make a change to it.

Exactly why I reverted to the classic firmware and will NEVER agree to a cloud managed anything.

The cloud is really a return to the 1970s when all we had was mainframe computers and dumb terminals.

Wendel48

And we still do not have the update to the Classic firmware Cisco promised!

How 'bout it, Cisco? Will you honor your commitment to the Classic firmware? I hope all those lay-offs were not firmware engineers.

earthmyrll120288

Hi :smileyhappy:, CCC works even without an internet connection. If you will log on to the router without internet access, it will not ask your for your CCC account login, instead it would ask you for the router password and if you type the password correctly it enables you to do changes on the router settings offline.

Wendel48

Earthmyrll, the CCC interface you have access to when you are not using the Internet is very crippled. Most of the important changes to the router's configuration are not available. So the CCC interface, when disconnected from the Internet, does not work at all like the CCC interface when on the Internet connected to Cisco cloud.

The CCC firmware was intentionally designed to be crippled unless you connected to Cisco cloud for very obvious monetary reasons.

The Classic firmware works flawlessly in either situation.

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]
Ok, I downloaded the cloud firmware for E4200 v2 and this was my experience:

1. I doubt if the cloud firmware really needs to be zipped to add an extra step but maybe it does....no big deal.

2. The firmware upgraded manually without a hitch from a wired connection.

3. I gave it my dsl username and password (my modem/router is in bridge mode) and then did the rest from a wireless connection. No problems.

4. I set it up (registered) and explored where all of the settings were at. There's a couple intuitive things that I would have done differently, but they are so minor, it's not even worth mentioning.

5. I noticed that the cloud software automatically detected that I have a wrt54g2 connected to the e4200 and it identified it as such when clicking on "connected devices".

6. I then realized that I hadn't done factory reset to defaults after the upgrade and decided to do so. I used the GUI method to reset. I reconfigured and noticed that the wrt54g2 was now seen as a "network device" when clicking on "connected devices". So I did hard reset with button. Same thing. Finally, I did another button reset and then proceded to disable the UPnP on E4200. I disabled upnp exception in windows firewall and rebooted computer. I enabled upnp on e4200 and the enabled exception on windows firewall and it's back to detecting the wrt54g2 just fine. A minor bug? Possibly. User error? I can never rule that out :smileyhappy:

6. I actually like the cloud setiup thing and didn't think I would. I don't really follow the "can't configure it with no Internet" logic. I was without power for 12 days from an ice storm a couple years ago, and I had a lot more to worry about than whether or not I could configure or change a setting on my non Internet wireless network. It seems like bathing and hot water, food spoilage were more of a concern. Even if I had a generator, I doubt if I would have had time to monkey around with the home grade router. If I needed a file, I've got everything on seagate USB drive and a laptop and car charger/inverter....and smart phone. The verizon cell towers were back on line in less than 72 hours with emergency generators.
Wendel48

I am happy you're enjoying the cloud experience, jlbjlb. I assume the Terms of Usage you had to agree to when you choose the cloud were not there or you did not mind the terms. In the beginning discussions (around June 26), the Terms of Usage painted a very unpleasant picture about privacy considerations on Cisco's behalf. After much discussion here, Cisco modified them. To what extent, I don't know.

The real problem with the cloud is exposing more of your personal information about your router  to more people. You also have people who may write apps to help you access your router. How do you know these apps are safe? Hackers may try sneaking into your router via an app. And we have no idea what data Cisco is mining and possibly selling, as mentioned in the original Terms of Usage. Maybe I am a bit paranoid. But the more I read about identity theft and password compromises, the less inclined I am to be trusting without verification.

A router is a very simple piece of hardware with a specific purpose: Keep your home network safe. The cloud, in my opinion, goes against that basic premise. The cloud is a marketing attempt to revive a dull business; selling hardware. And for many the cloud may be what they want and I am happy for them. For me, keeping my home network as secure as possible, is what I will strive for. I no longer own the EA3500 because Cisco has not lived up to their promise to support the Classic firmware with an update that was included in the cloud firmware.

Expert
jlbjlb

I wouldn't have downloaded the firmware had they not modified the terms and made public statements about it. I hate that you ea users had to be the guinea pigs, but I'm satisfied with what I've read. Cisco has too much to lose financially to do something "evil".

I think the bean counters were calling the shots and trying to do some ladder climbing. It back fired on them. Instead of increasing corporate profits and putting that on their resume, they did some PR damage to Cisco. I doubt if they'll put that on their resume though. :smileyhappy:

Greed is amazing thing. But that's how the bean counters got hired in the first place. They're always thinking about how they can make the company more money. They just are clueless about sensitive issues like privacy. The folks making those decisions are out of touch at Cisco, and probably don't use home grade routers. They have Cisco employees come to their house and fix them up with top notch business/corporate grade Cisco VPN stuff. They wouldn't have a clue on how to adjust a setting on a router.
jenny.cyde

Hello!

I would like to share my experience with my recently bought Linksys EA4500.

I was amazed that i can remotely control my home wi-fi when i am on busines trip or at the office.

Block the Bad stuff and Netproofer was the most used third party apps I used when my kids and their friends accessing the internet.

Kudos to your creative technology!

Keep up the good work!

Wendel48

Jenny, I am thrilled you're enjoying the cloud. However do you know anything about the companies that make Block the Bad Stuff or Netproofer? I'm sure you have read some apps have been sending home information that users were not aware of. The Internet is a wild frontier so I strongly urge you to be very cautious when choosing apps that can possibly have access to your home network computers and share your families computing activities on the Internet.

I recommend you Google "apps as trojans". On the Internet we want to trust but have to verify.

psychopomp1

[ Edited ]

I'm in the UK on a 18 meg down/1 meg up ADSL2+ service. Recently upgraded firmware on my EA4500 to Cisco Connect Cloud. No major issues and can access all router settings via CCC as i could via the traditional firmware. Hope Cisco can address a couple of minor issues though:

1) CCC user interface is very slow and laggy....if necessary get rid of the fancy graphics!

2) I wasn't able to upgrade the firmware to CCC from the traditional version using 'check for updates'...i know, many will consider this to be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps this only affects UK users but i had to to manually download CCC firmware and then manually update.

Not using any CCC apps at the moment as there's nothing to my liking. Not too concerned about Cisco's CCC privacy policy because here in UK/EU due to extremely tough data protection laws, Cisco would get their pants heavily sued if they passed users details to third parties WITHOUT their consent. Basically they would be finished in Europe if they pulled such a trick.