Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
geekmee

Re: Share your experience with Cisco Connect Cloud

I like the cloud service. It has saved me a lot of work. I now can monitor my kids access to the Internet from the office. And I was able to set it up quickly without having to read a lot arcane terminology.

I work in an IT environment and know arcane technology comes with the territory. But as software trainer for end users for more than 20 years, and I have never found the time or the inclination to figure out how to access my router remotely... I knew it could be done, but found it too much time and effort. 

I think of cloud services as fast food for those who don't want to read the entire recipe to get a meal.  It's not for everybody, but it's nice to have options for people with different abilities.

I think cloud service is going to end up meaning: convenience.

Rabbi10

geekmee wrote:

I think of cloud services as fast food for those who don't want to read the entire recipe to get a meal.  It's not for everybody, but it's nice to have options for people with different abilities.

I agree one hundred percent with this and the fast food analogy is very apt!  However there are also health implications with too much fast food as there are with the use of Cloud firmware!!!

But just like fast food when I go to McDonalds that's what I expect -  if I go to an expensive restaurant then I don't expect a McDonalds served on a plate with silver cutlery to justify the price!

And I decide if I'm going to eat mass prepared fast food at a fast food restaurant or a gourmet meal at a 3 Michelin star restaurant - the restaurant doesn't decide for me and that is the main issue with the Cloud and how Cisco originally released the firmware.

Tthere is definitely a place for both styles of access systems just like there is for both types of restaurants - and in both cases it is about convenience. But with Cloud firmware there is a significant security risk (based on my many years as a communications engineer) and if you accept that risk - then that is your choice.

I would never use Cloud firmware as it is now  but it could be made a lot more secure. When you rush to get something out the door before it is thoroughly tested it often becomes a disaster - as it did here with the original release.

jaymay

There are a lot of promise that cisco connect cloud can bring. What's good about this is that cisco is giving out options for clients/users who wish to use or not use the software. So all depends on the users if they use the cloud or classic firmware. Regarding the automatic update though, if you don't want your router to do that automatic upgrade, you just have to uncheck auto update under Connectivity > Firmware Update.

earthmyrll120288

Rabbi10 wrote:

geekmee wrote:

I agree one hundred percent with this and the fast food analogy is very apt!  However there are also health implications with too much fast food as there are with the use of Cloud firmware!!!

But just like fast food when I go to McDonalds that's what I expect -  if I go to an expensive restaurant then I don't expect a McDonalds served on a plate with silver cutlery to justify the price!

And I decide if I'm going to eat mass prepared fast food at a fast food restaurant or a gourmet meal at a 3 Michelin star restaurant - the restaurant doesn't decide for me and that is the main issue with the Cloud and how Cisco originally released the firmware.

Tthere is definitely a place for both styles of access systems just like there is for both types of restaurants - and in both cases it is about convenience. But with Cloud firmware there is a significant security risk (based on my many years as a communications engineer) and if you accept that risk - then that is your choice.

I would never use Cloud firmware as it is now  but it could be made a lot more secure. When you rush to get something out the door before it is thoroughly tested it often becomes a disaster - as it did here with the original release.

What I like about this is that Cisco gives option to customers. It's would be up to you. Would it e the classic firmware or the cloud firmware. It depends on where you are comfortable with. :smileyhappy: . For people like me who travels a lot Cisco Cloud is a big help. :smileyhappy:

panos.asproulis

===

jaymay said:

There are a lot of promise that cisco connect cloud can bring. What's good about this is that cisco is giving out options for clients/users who wish to use or not use the software. So all depends on the users if they use the cloud or classic firmware. Regarding the automatic update though, if you don't want your router to do that automatic upgrade, you just have to uncheck auto update under Connectivity > Firmware Update.

===

There is no indication that Cisco intends to continue producing both a classic and a cloud firmware for future updates.

panos.asproulis

[ Edited ]

===

geekme wrote:

===

If the reason for the cloud service is for people to be able to access their routers remotely with ease the best, secure and fast way would have been the implementation of a Cisco service similar to that of DynDNS without the need for the user to configure anything: once your Cisco router is connected to Internet it automatically registers its IP address to a web site managed by Cisco. When a user wants to connect to the router remotely he logs in to this web site which redirects him to his router's own web interface. That's all. No need for hosting the configuration interface remotely and no monitoring from Cisco.

prossos

Thanks for your reply.  I would be very pleased if I had the functionality demonstrated in the help section screen shots.  I do not see "block sites inappropriate for teen/child" in my options.

It is difficult to obtain direct assistance from Cisco.

Parental control was the main reason I purchased the product and moved to the cloud service.

TO_DAD
panos.asproulis

===

prossos said:

Thanks for your reply.  I would be very pleased if I had the functionality demonstrated in the help section screen shots.  I do not see "block sites inappropriate for teen/child" in my options.

It is difficult to obtain direct assistance from Cisco.

Parental control was the main reason I purchased the product and moved to the cloud service.

===

The parental controls are (also) poorly implemented. I suggest you use the OpenDNS FamilyShield service (free) from this link: http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/

Wendel48

By now it should be obvious Cisco has no intention of supporting the Classic firmware. Otherwise we'd have seen the hardware upgrades and fixes contained in the Cloud firmware.

Cisco only acquiesced to allow people to revert to  the Classic firmware because of the huge firestorm of protest. The "choice" some think Cisco is giving is a myth. There is no choice. It will be the Cloud, come hell or high water. That's why I returned my EA3500.

LatinKreationz

It would be nice if I could remove a returned router off my cloud account. The router shows up but says offline and have no way of removing it. :-/