steveodale
Accepted Solution

Sharing Printer

Replaced wireless router with E-3000. I have  2 Windows XP desktops.  Desktop A connected to router with ethernet.  Desktop B connected to router wirelessly.  Both can access internet.  Desktop B can not print to printer connected to A.   When attempting to print from B, get error messages such as "The Directory is Currenlty Unavailable" or you may not have permission to access workgroup. I can access shared files from A on B not the reverse.

Any suggestions?  Thanks

dudztgp

Re: Sharing Printer

Make sure the computers are on the same work group. And of course, the permission needed to access the printer.
steveodale

Thanks for quick reply.

Yes, both computers are in same workgroup

I updated the permissions in my MaCafee software and added cisco to exceptions in windows XP firewall

I have run network setup and wireless set up repeatedly and rebooted

I have uninstalled the Cisco Software and have reloaded software

I tried to uninstall then reinstalled the HP 8450 printer software, but get stopped when it can't find the actual printer on the other computer.

I have checked the share option where ever given the option.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

dudztgp

How about disabling any protection software or windows firewall in the meantime? Just to make sure that nothing is being blocked.
steveodale

Yes,  thank you. With some discomfort, I disabled windows xp firewall and McAaffe on both computers.  I found the printer, linked it and  I was able to print!   I worked with some of the settings and permissions and now can print with firewall and McAffee enabled.

Thanks for your help

Puddlejumper

I just spent about an hour speaking with three Linksys techs about this same problem. A complete waste of time. Since I had internet connections on my wireless and wired computers, there was nothing wrong with my router.

I wondered about firewalls and/or any settings that Cisco Connect defaults to that could block access to file and printer sharing. No help, but one tech did try to sell me a $69.99 tech support service. LOL.

Anyway, I turned all my firewalls back on and then disabled the wireless security which defaults to WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode. I went to my laptops, added a network printer and network access worked! I can now print wirelessly with my USB wired printer connected to my desktop wired via ethernet to my Linksys E2000 router.

The lack of understanding by the techs was terrible. The last one at least talked about me getting a wireless print server but he did not think it was possible to do what I wanted to do. I enabled security back to WPA/WPA and everything is working fine again. I guess when I said I was returning the router to the store, I was just bluffing. :smileywink: