ericleduc_mtl

Sharing resources between computers

Here is the situation...

I used to have 2 computers connected to the same router (WRT55AG) which was used as an Internet Access point.  All the ressources on each computer could be shared (Printers, folders, etc.) and everything worked fine.

I just bought a second router (WRT54G) that is now the Internet AccessPoint while my old WRT55AG is now connected to the new WRT54G.  I have 1 computer connected to each of them.  I cannot share the ressources anymore.  I followed exactly the procedures high-lighted on this WEBsitewithout success.

Can someone point me to the procedure that would allow me to share these ressources?  Since the WRT54AG have a local IP adress of 192.168.2.1 with the Internet Connection Type set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP, is that the reason why I can't share the ressources?

Thanks! 
toomanydonuts

Re: Sharing resources between computers

[ Edited ]
Could you please explain why you need two routers?   Do you just need extra ports to connect your computers and printers?  Are you trying to set up a large area with wireless coverage?  Are you trying to establish two separate subnets for added protection of your inner subnet?

How are your routers connected?   By wire or wirelessly?   Numbered port to numberer port?  Or numbered port to Internet port?

A router will normally protect its LAN from uninvited guests who are trying to gain access through the Internet port.  Therefore any computer trying to print by going through the Internet port of a router will generally be stopped.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 04-12-200711:55 PM

ericleduc_mtl

[ Edited ]
Allow me to answer your questions so you can understand my situation.

Could you please explain why you need two routers?   See below.

Do you just need extra ports to connect your computers and printers?  No.

Are you trying to set up a large area with wireless coverage?  Yes but ressources need to be accessible from all wired computers to all computers.

Are you trying to establish two separate subnets for added protection of your inner subnet? No.

How are your routers connected?   On the WT55AG, there is a wire that is connected in the Internet port into the Port 1 of the WRT54G which is the Internet AccessPoint. 

IS there a way to do port forwarding on the WRT54G so that computers connected to it could have access to the ressources connected to the WRT55AG?  If so, how can that be done?

Message Edited by ericleduc_mtl on 04-12-200710:19 PM

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
You have set your system up as two separate subnets.  This is why you are having trouble sharing resources.  What you really want is a setup with a router and a WAP (wireless access point).

It sounds like the WRT54G is directly connected to your modem.  Is that correct?

In this case, you want to convert your WRT55AG to be a WAP. 

To do this, do the following:
Disconnect the two routers.
Reset the WRT55AG to factory defaults.
Then in the WRT55AG:
 1)  turn off the DHCP server
 2)  set the "Local IP address" to 192.168.1.2   (assuming you are not using this fixed address elsewhere in your system, and assuming that the WRT54G is still at its default address of 192.168.1.1)
 3)  set the SSID to a unique value.  It should be the same as the SSID in the WRT54G, however, do not use "linksys" in either router.
 4)  make sure "SSID Broadcast" is set to enabled.

Now wire any numbered port on the WRT54G to any numbered port on the WRT55AG.  Do not use the Internet port on the WRT55AG.

All of your "router" settings (firewall, port forwarding, DHCP server, etc.) will be done by the WRT54G.  The WRT55AG will control its own wireless settings.

For more info on this topic, see the post below, from the expert gv:

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 04-13-200701:18 AM

Ok, the reason why the comps connected to separate routers don't file-share is because they have a difference in the range of the IP address numbers. I assume that the WRT54G has a default gateway of 192.168.1.1, and the 55AG has 192.168.2.1 right?

What you need to do is to setup static routing on the two devices, or try dynamic routing first and see if it works.

Access the setup page of each router and go to the advance routing sub-tab under the setup tab.

If the router is the one connected directly to the modem, set it to gateway mode, otherwise set it to router mode.

Now, for the gateway settings, Destination IP should be 192.168.2.0, Subnet is 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway is 192.168.2.1

For the router mode settings, Destination IP is 192.168.1.0, Subnet is 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1

Set the interface to LAN&Wireless. Then try to ping the computer's IP behind the 2nd router using your computer behind the 1st router. See if you get 4 replies. If you have, you did it correctly. If you didn't, try to double-check the settings that you have there.
Laney1

Hi all,  I have just set up my wireless network, but knowing nothing about networks, how do I connect through the router to the other PC's.  I assume that I need a network address but where does that come from?

Martin
Laney1

Hi again,  Reference my last message.  I think I have found the ip addresses under network connections > support (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 respectively). I can't seem to find where to put them in the system though.  I've tried putting them into IE7 but it can't locate the pc's on the network. I can see the router on 192.168.1.1 from both pc's but I can't get them to see each other.  Any ideas, I am using the WAG54GS.

Martin
bmccabe2

How do I share my bandwith so I can use my PS3 online and use my personal laptop computer through the same router, but not causing lag in either the computer or PS3 gaming. I know there is a way to do this and have them both work fine without paying for extra bandwith but I am unsure how to do this? Help Anyone?! Thanks

Bret

bruceaernst

Some Useful hints!

I had a lot of problems adding this modem to an existing LAN, but finally got it to work. I had to reset it several times.

I have wireless on, and a Roku, Denon A/V receiver, and Actiontec DSL modem (the gateway and 2nd wireless access point) connected via cable. There is one more router in the house, which has Ethernet.

Here are some hints that might help:

1) Follow the instructions about what to connect to the modem exactly. It appears that the modem can only be reconfigured if it is not connected to anything. When I had the Roku and Denon connected the configuration seemed to always fail.

2) My gateway IP is 192.168.0.1, so I configured the linksys router IP to 192.168.0.2. I also updated my actiontec DHCP with a starting IP address of 192.168.0.4. The Denon amp uses the other static IP of 192.168.0.3.

3) At the end of the configuration, I could not access the router from my browser when my laptop was attached via a cable. But, I could using wireless. I have no idea why. I am connecting though linksys wireless.

iCu
iCu

I have been reading what you guys have been saying and it all makes sence but now is it possible to access info from my PC thats wired from my laptop via wireless? I am only using a WRT54GL