Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PittPens11

Signal but no internet from my WRT54G v8 wireless router

I have a linksys wrt54g v8 and i have done all the basic steps to fix it... and more.  I tried cloning mac address and changing settings left and right and it wont work, but i'll start from the beginning. I have had the router for a little over two years i believe.  a few months ago it started dropping the connection every few hours, but i could simply unplug and replug the power cord and it would then work fine. Recently, however, the wireless doesnt work at all, at least with my macbook, PS3, and ipod touch.  My mother claims that it works fine with her Dell and that she can access the internet. I can connect to the router with a superb signal, but with my devices it wont relay the internet.  My mac works with my (University) neighbor and it can connect to the internet, and it also works fine when wired to the router, but i cant get the wireless to work. I have been able to successfully ping the router with my macbook, but still no internet!  I have spent too long using shotty internet in secluded parts of my home that i steal from the university.  Please help me, its driving me insane!
jackharlequin

Re: Signal but no internet from my WRT54G v8 wireless router

i have the same problem. mine was working before til it was accidentally reset. (someone configured our router but i couldnt contact him now.) now, i cant fix it. i've done what websites say using the http://192.68.1.1 site, etc. it wont work on macbooks and ipod but it works with windows. i get signals but cant connect to the internet. i think it has something to do with the DNS but i dont exactly know what since i dont really know about computer stuff. help please. thanks. 

mine is WRT54GS.

jackharlequin

btw, they've set-up the router on our desktop which is a Windows. (i dont know how to do it on a mac.) i just need it to work with Apple products.

Ricewind

As the wired computer from your router is working fine.Try to adjust the wireless settings on the router.

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

Click on the Wireless tab...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box.Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...

Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key.Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings...Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

**Use the wired computer to do the above settings.

xxkring2xx

if all else fails, completely reset the router for 20 secs, power cycle for 1 min. then do the configuration from scratch

__♥__
merlejames@comcast.net

I need to turn on both broadcast and wired on my Linksys Router WRT54-G V8

So My WII can read it to connect to the Internet