Zakarrum

Slow Internet Connection Linksys e1500 Router

I set up the e1500 and everything worked well, my download speed over the wifi was something like 50mps, now its down to .3 mps over the wifi.  When I'm hardwired to the router the speed goes back up and everything is fine.  The only problem is the wifi. Its not the ISP because my roommates aren't having a problem with their wifi at all.  I haven't changed anything on my computer except updated some drivers since I set up the router.  My network card drivers are up to date and so is the router's drivers.  I'm also doing all this about 5 feet away from the router.

I have a Dell XPS L502x running win 7 64 bit. 

Expert
Expert

Re: Slow Internet Connection Linksys e1500 Router

You have good wired speed with your router.
Your roommates have good wireless speed with your router.

Well, that leaves only your computer. As you have updated the driver on your computer check the driver settings. Maybe something changed there. Try Dell support to help you optimizing your driver settings.
kven86

There is a big problem with the E1500 firmware.  If you diable WMM, your speed should go back to normal.  I have 2 cisco E1500, one is with the original firmware and the second was upgraded to 1.0.02.

The first one with WMM enabled still gives me good wifi speed around 16mbps, the second with the upgraded firmware with WMM enable causes wifi speed to slow down to a miserable 0.3-0.4mbps. 

With WMM disabled it goes back to about 15-20mbps.

When will cisco fix this issue.

Expert
Expert

Call support...
kven86

I have called support, there is nothing much they can do, however I have confirmed to myself at least that it is the firmware problem.

So for those who have upgraded to the 1.0.02 firmware and are experiencing this problem go rma the thing and don't upgrade.  As for me now, the case has been pushed to the case technician, and all I want now is just the old firmware to flash back to, which of course is taking quite a while...

dcowley

Disabling the WMM fixed my problem with slow internet speeds. Thanks for that tip. 

kven86

yeah, but it isn't the solution, waiting for cisco to come up with the new firmware or solution now.  Using a crippled router doesn't make sense.

whatgives

[ Edited ]

I can't find anywhere to disable WMM. When I click on "Wireless" the only options I have listed are below. Can someone tell me where to find the WMM option?

Basic Wireless Settings,  Wireless Security,  Guest Access,  Wireless MAC Filter

dcowley

Under Application & Gaming > QoS then disable

whatgives

Thanks a lot! A huge difference!