Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Xandir48

Smart Wi-Fi not not supported with IE 11?

Yesterday Windows 7 installed IE 11 on my computer in the middle of the night. Now when I open Linksys Smart Wi-Fi it says "browser not supported" and I can't access my router. Compatibilty view doesn't work, either.

I called your tech support and after an excruciatingly long time on hold I was promptly told by the CSR to install Firefox or Chrome instead. I don't want to get into a browser war here and, besides, it really is nobody's business but my own what browser I choose to use.

Bottom line: her answer was totally unacceptable. I'm not installing another program just so I can access my router which worked perfectly fine in IE 10.

Will a fix be forthcoming so I can once again access my settings?

BlueNaru21

Re: Smart Wi-Fi not not supported with IE 11?

I am also having same issue with IE 11 but the only way to access the user interface is to use another browser. I guess we just really have to wait until Linksys will release another update to work with IE 11.
Help, learn and share :smileyvery-happy:
Xandir48

Nice to know that I'm not the only one, thanks.

I read an article after I posted my original post that Microsoft is "aggressively" rolling out IE 11 via Windows Update so it'll just be a matter of time before hundreds of thousands will be in the same boat as us.
Expert
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

Yes it's a shame the Microsoft has made your router non functional.  Have you called MS and asked them about the issue since they have caused the problem?  Next time it might be best to look at you MS updates to see what you really need or not.

Xandir48

First of all, my router is functional...Linksys Smart Wi-Fi is not.

Second of all, I don't think it really is Microsoft's fault even though you appear to blame them for this issue. The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi website icon/link on my desktop points to a Linksys website which is giving me the "browser not supported" error message. Obviously some protocol has changed with IE 11 which Linksys isn't aware of as of yet or that Microsoft failed to inform them of.

Third of all, I've always had Windows Update on it's recommended setting and have never run into any issues before. I appreciate your opinion and it's entirely possible if IE hadn't updated itself to version 11 this issue might not have occurred. But it did, nevertheless, and here we are.

And last, I stand firm. IE 11 is installed, I'm not reverting back to 10, I'm not going to install another 3rd-party browser and I am confident they'll come up with a solution to this issue. If not, there are other brands of routers out there I can purchase and I will always be glad to discuss with others the wonderful support Linksys gave me regarding a technical issue I had.
CKenneth

[ Edited ]

Hi. I believe Linksys is aware of this and they are still fixing the issue. While waiting for the fix, you can try to use other browsers like Google Chrome of Firefox. It should help. :smileyhappy:

RGG48

[ Edited ]

The issue is most likely with the Linksys page. I looked at part of the page and it shows that following code.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">

Edge is the default page mode that IE 11 comes up in and somewhere in the code I'd think that the Linksys page should be doing something with the IE=edge but isn't doing it correctly.

To get around the issue for now, without installing another browser you can do the following:

Bring up your address to your router. When you get the "Browser not supported" message press F12 (if you can't press the F12 key, you can get to it off the Tools [the Gear looking icon at the top right of IE] menu.) This brings up IE development tools.

On the far left side bottom you'll see the tools, a scrolling list. Press that arrow at the bottom of the list until you get the the last icon that looks like a monitor and computer. Press that icon.

You should now see the Emulation mode with the Document Mode selected as Edge. Press on the drop down list and select 10 off the list. The page will refresh and show you the same error. You're refreshing the error page so you need to get rid of the error page part in the address so it shows just your router address in the address bar.

http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx/ui/dynamic/browser-unsupported.html   <delete /ui/dynamic/browser-unsupported.html from this so it looks like your address http://192.xxx.xxx.xxx

Your router pages should come up fine now. NOTE: do not close the F12 Developer Tools while on  the router or it will go right back to the "Browser not supported" page. If I find out how to change the default from edge to 10 without having to bring up F12 for the router address, I will update this (I haven't looked at it yet.)

Expert
chadster766

Does IE 11 have compatibility mode? The main reason I move enterprise networks onto IE 10 is that its compatibility mode solve all website issues.

Capture.PNG

:smileywink: Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert
chadster766

Try adding the website to the compatibility list as described in the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11

:smileywink: Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
dee-vious_dee

Thanx RGG48 that works great. It's at least something right now.