Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
wombat1360

Spaces in SSIDs - problem with WET54G

How important is it to NOT have spaces in SSIDs? For example, the WCG200-CC wireless router across the hallway has the SSID "Bobs Office". I have no problem connecting to it with a D-Link USB wireless adaptor, but can't connect to it with the WET54G bridge that I just purchased. The intention is to eventually connect that to an EZXS55W switch so that I can connect several PCs in my office to Bob's network without having to purchase a wireless card for each one. Is it likely that the space in the SSID is what is stopping me from connecting? I don't have a problem connecting to a neighboring unsecured network with the SSID "Linksys" :smileywink:
Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon.
castor

Re: Spaces in SSIDs - problem with WET54G

The SSID is the network name shared among all points in a wireless network. The SSID must be identical for all devices in the wireless network. It is case-sensitive and must not exceed 32 characters (use any of the characters on the keyboard). Make sure this setting is the same for all points in your wireless network. For added security, you should change the default SSID (linksys_media) to a unique name. I think this will solve the Problem.
wombat1360

Re: Spaces in SSIDs - problem with WET54G

Thanks. I understand about the SSID needing to match on all PCs on the network, but my question was really about the space between the words in the SSID "Bobs Office". Is a space allowed, or should I have Bob change it to "Bobs_Office" so that there is no space (he's not going to like that suggestion). I ask because I recall seeing somewhere in the setup instructions for my WET54G that there shouldn't be a space in an SSID, but Bob hasn't had a problem with any PCs connecting to his Linksys wireless router up until now. If the space IS an issue, then it must be specific to Linksys devices as I mentioned before that my D-Link adaptor connects ok, as do the PCs in Bob's office (using SMC and other brands of adaptors).
Sometimes you're the statue, sometimes you're the pigeon.