Sigrad

Speed drops to 1.0 mbps...

I'm using a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network Adapter with SpeedBooster (WMP54GR) and a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200 (WRT54GR). My connection speed frequently drops to 1.0 mb/s and hovers between that and 5.5 mb/s, causing extreme latency. This happens very often, around once every two hours. The connection does not restablish itself and I must manually repair the connection via the network manager. This problem has persisted even with the WRT54G and the WRT54GS routers. Unplugging and replugging, tightening, managing network settings, relocating the computer, restarting, and most other things I can think of have been tried with no success.

As soon as I got the SRX200, the problem pretty much vanished. It has resurfaced with time and happens more and more frequently. If anyone has any idea what's wrong, help would be appriciated. I'd like to try everything I can before I go buy a WMP54GX.
brickmonkey

Re: Speed drops to 1.0 mbps...

hi, a few things to check on the router. Ensure that you have the latest firmware .
Go into the router setup using http://192.168.1.1 enter the password as "admin". Now go to the wireless section and then to advanced wireless settings. Here reduce the beacon to 50 and also reduce the RTS and fragmentation threshold by 40 each.
restart all devices and check if you still get a drop in transmission rates.
Sigrad

I followed your instructions, but the problem seems to have worsened. Now my speed stays around 24-36mb/s instead of staying at 54 until it goes to 1. My signal strength constantly appears as 'low' as well.

I think my pci card may be faulty, is there any way I could confirm this? Any other fixes people could propose?

Hi,

Try to force your  card to 10mbps half duplex..just go to control panel, look for system icon, do a double click, then click on hardware tab, click on device manager and do a double click on the network adapter, look for the one which says linksys under the device manager and click on advanced tab, inside the box for property, look for the one which says, link speed/duplex or media type or connection type, just click on that then set the value to 10mb half mode, or 10 mbps half duplex or 10 base - T duplex.

Hope this helps.
Sigrad

I didn't see anything that fit the description of duplex-anything, but I did try lowering the "Rate" to 10mb. It still hasn't fixed the problem, though. My signal strength has constantly been "Low" lately, too.
luisabarriosper

Hi, my problem continue....my current card is to 11 mbps and my conecction speed drop to 5,5 mbps sometime to 2 mbps....please someone help me..?
Aktn30

So I've seen this problem around a bit and no one has an answer, or at least no one is giving one. I commend you on giving that second piece of advice through the advanced settings and such, but after the Rate changes and all through the router settings no one follows through after they post that from what I've seen. So I'm going to keep bumping this hopefully until it's answered.
Aktn30

No one has a fix yet?!
ARCHANGEL_06

How far are your computers from the router? Have you tried setting your transmit rate into a specific one on the wireless adapters advanced properties? Do you also have other routers/cordless phones that are on 2.4 GHZ that may provide interference? Have you tried turning them off also? Maybe you are within the range of your neighbor? You can also try doing this procedure here and see if your wireless connection prospers.

Then with the luck of the irish goodluck! :smileywink:
"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06
rockyp

Anoher thing you might try - if all of your wireless devicess are 802.11g, set the router to "g only". This way, it won't be spending any resources on trying to find/connect to "b" devices.