Britgeezer
Accepted Solution

Static IP questions

I have a WRT310N and wish to set up static IP addresses for my systems, so as to permit port forwarding on two PC's,  I read the FAQ's and think I understand what to do but I have a question.

I have 5 PC's networked 1 as my server using WHS, 4 others using XP Pro plus a DVR, these are hard wired to the router (I also use a switch).  Also an Xbox 360 sometimes joins the network when my son visits.

In addition using the wireless connection wireless are a MAC, a MAC time capsule, a WII and my company laptop from time to time.

It all works fairly well except for accessing the WHS server and for P2P which needs static IP to permit port forwarding or perhaps triggering.

The question is:

Do I turn DHCP off as suggested in most articles, when using fixed IP's or leave it on so the DVR (etc) can be still be given its internal IP's dynamically? I prefer the wireless devices to use dynamic IP since they change locations.

There is no way I can mess with my company laptop setup which I use both wired and wireless depending on task and I don't think I can access the DVR anyway.

I'm planning to use static IP's well distanced from the standard pool range.

So DHCP on or off?

kevj

Re: Static IP questions

If you have devices that you can't mess with the IP config on (such as Company laptop) or devices that visit occasionally, it is more convenient to have them set to use DHCP, so leave it on. You can limit the size of the DHCP assigned address range if you need to, but make sure you leave enough addresses for everything that needs to get one dynamically. Having DHCP active on the router causes no harm if you have other devices using static IPs, but as you say, make sure the statics are outside the range of the DHCP pool. Also, I'm not too familiar with WHS, but make sure it doesn't have a DHCP server running also. Two DHCP servers on the same network will be problematic.
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
Britgeezer

Thanks for the confirmation, much as I expected.  I'll try setting up the static IP's in a minute.

PS I don't think that WHS invokes its own DHCP - but time will tell.

kevj

Looks like WHS DOES have a built in DHCP server. This article describes an Add-in Front End for it, but also mentions the built in:

http://mswhs.com/2007/08/16/dhcp-for-windows-home-server-aka-dhcp4whs/

I'd advise using either the one in the router or the one in WHS, but not both.

-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
Britgeezer

Just noticed your answer, thanks for the information.

Fixed IP and DHCP on the router are working fine, all PC's and auxiliary stuff are working fine.

I have not tried to get the remote feature of WHS working again just yet, thought I would figure out the Port Forwarding thing first.

For now all is working fine..ish.

I'm still using UPnP in my bitTorrent program (Vuze) I was about to turn it off and forward the port, when I remembered my MB has 2 gigabit LAN connections (and of course 2 IP's)

Can I / should I,  forward the Vuze port to both IP addresses?   I think I read somewhere that a no-no?

Thanks again ..