Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
allanc

Switch Between Cable Modem and WRT54G Router

A technician was recommending that I put a switch (or hub) between a client's cable modem and WRT54G router. This is because he thinks that there is an autosensing issue with the cable company's modem.
Are there any settings on the switch that I have to configure?
ridcully

Re: Switch Between Cable Modem and WRT54G Router

hi , this is true in some cases....however there is no configuration that you can specify on the switch itself...just ensure a few things.....the cable from the modem has to go to the "uplink" of the switch.....then from a regular port of the switch to the "internet" port of the router.
If at all the internet light does not come on ....you may have to take the router back...this is not a modem issue.
allanc

I am just confirming that I do not use any cross-over cables, correct?
TIA.

ridcully wrote:
hi , this is true in some cases....however there is no configuration that you can specify on the switch itself...just ensure a few things.....the cable from the modem has to go to the "uplink" of the switch.....then from a regular port of the switch to the "internet" port of the router.
If at all the internet light does not come on ....you may have to take the router back...this is not a modem issue.

zeries

usualy they advice this kind of setup when clients have gigabit type of connection.
like fiber optic or satillite. which can burn the routers internet port cause it only has a 100 mbps port. the switch is used to step down the connection so the router can stand the speed of the ISP. what exactly was the problem why you were advised to use a switch?
"Give them nothing... But take from them everything..."
-Leonidas "300"
allanc

A client has a cable modem connection which worked well for many  months. Just after I installed a WRT54G version 6 he started to experience intermittent disconnects from the Internet. This could be as frequently as every 15 minutes to several days apart.
There is only one PC and it is wired (not wireless).
With instructions from LinkSys online chat support I upgraded to firmware 1.0, reset the modem, reconfigured, etc. I followed their instructions very carefully.
The disconnect problem has not stopped.

I contacted someone in the support group for partners.
He said that everytime that he has seen this type of issue it has been a problem with the cable modem. The ISP says that everything looks fine from their end. The techie suggested inserting a hub or switch between the cable modem and router. If the problem stops, then it was an autosensing issue between the cable modem and router. If not, the router is defective.
zeries wrote:
usualy they advice this kind of setup when clients have gigabit type of connection.
like fiber optic or satillite. which can burn the routers internet port cause it only has a 100 mbps port. the switch is used to step down the connection so the router can stand the speed of the ISP. what exactly was the problem why you were advised to use a switch?

k6ncx

"burn the routers internet port..."

"step down the connection so the router can stand the speed of the ISP..."

No, that's not how it works.

zeries

k6ncx,

The internet port on linksys routers are only 100 mbps ports, ports get burned or whatever you may call it when you put a 1000 mbps connection on it.

allanc,

You can try putting the switch, Also try to put MTU on the router lower from 1492 to 1200. You can Also try to reflash or re-upgrade the router. This time put the PC on static IP that is in the range of the router's IP, then force the card to 10 half duplex or 10 baseT , this the proper way of upgrading the router according to linksys
-Leonidas "300"
allanc

I believe I have tried a MTU of 1500, 1400 and 1300. Currently, it is at 1300. I can try 1200 if you think it might fix the problem.
While chatting with LinkSys support on-line they pasted the firmware upgrade instructions and no mention was made of forcing the card itself to any setting. I do not think that this is mentioned in the instructions on their WEB site either.
Interesting.
So, you are saying to set the following *before* the upgrade and then revert back to 'obtain IP automatically' and automatic sensing on the NIC *after* the upgrade?
Or, change the settings and then leave them?
'This time put the PC on static IP that is in the range of the router's IP, then force the card to 10 half duplex or 10 baseT'.

zeries wrote:
k6ncx,

You can try putting the switch, Also try to put MTU on the router lower from 1492 to 1200. You can Also try to reflash or re-upgrade the router. This time put the PC on static IP that is in the range of the router's IP, then force the card to 10 half duplex or 10 baseT , this the proper way of upgrading the router according to linksys

zeries

Im saying before the upgrade. Then revert back after the upgrade.. hus the internet service provider of the client?.. well the process i gave you was to ensure the proper loading of the firmware takes place.

-Leonidas "300"
allanc

Are the words 'reflash' and 're-upgrade' synomous?

zeries wrote:
You can Also try to reflash or re-upgrade the router.