Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Takes a long time to connect

[ Edited ]
Sorry I searched as much as I could.

I have a wireless router WRT54GX2 and have 2 laptops that I use.  Recently one of the laptops has started taking anywhere from 2 - 5 minutes to connect to the router, sometimes I have to restart completely.  My other laptop is still working fine and picks up in seconds.  I went into my network connections and set a static IP address after reading somethings online and that seemed to help  but I also read keeping it set like that isn't the best way to do it.  Anyone out there please help, this is drving me nuts.

I guess I should be more specific, the connection does not even try to connect, the icon just stays at the bottom with the red x on it.  My wired connection works perfect as well as wireless when it finally connects.

Thanks,

B

Message Edited by   on 07-29-2007 01:00 PM

Re: Takes a long time to connect

Anyone?
toomanydonuts

Re: Takes a long time to connect

[ Edited ]
First of all, give your network a unique SSID. Do not use "linksys". If you are using "linksys" you may be trying to connect to your neighbor's router. Also set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

On most wireless computers, the software has a section called "Preferred Networks"  (sometimes called "Profiles" ).  Go to this area, and delete all networks named "linksys".  Also delete any network that you do not recognize, or that you no longer use.  Make sure that your current network is listed, and that it is set to automatically connect.  (Note:  you may need to highlight your current network, then select "Properties" or "settings" to do this.)

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 07-30-2007 05:17 AM