ilbknownas1
Accepted Solution

The DNS server isn't responding.

Just bought this WRT160N a few days ago, i set it up and had no problems, now, randomly i cant get the internet to work, every once in awhile it will work for a few minutes, then it will go back out again.  When i troubleshoot the problem on Windows, I  get "The DNS server isnt responding" *Detected*         This computer is on a wired connection to my router, and is currently the only computer connected to my router.  The connection works fine when I run the cable directly from my modem to the computer (which im doing right now) any help would be greatly appreciated!
tjdmhem

Re: The DNS server isn't responding.

try resetting your router.
ilbknownas1

i reset my router and modem multiple times. i did all the basic trouble shooting kinds of things.
great_white

You have already tired to reset your router and re-configure all the settings back on your Router and still you are facing the same problem with the router, then i think in this case you need to upgrade the firmware of your Router.

Go to website linksysbycisco.com/downloads.........insert model no of your router in serach tab......select proper version of your router........download the firmware file......save that file on desktop...

Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -
Open an Internet Explorer browser page on a computer hard wired to the router...In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1...Leave the Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' and browse the .bin firmware file and click on "Upgrade"...
Wait for few seconds until it shows that "Upgrade is successful"  After the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".

Now reset your router :
Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

ilbknownas1

how is that going to work if i cant get the internet to work with the router plugged in... the whole "typing in 192.168.1.1" part.
great_white

To upgrade the firmware on your Router, you dont need to be connected to the Internet... Just connect the Modem to the Computer and download the firmware for your Router.... Once you have downloaded the firmware on your Router..... Connect the Modem to the Router on the Internet Port and the Connect the Computer to the Linksys Router on the Port No.1...Follow the instruction which i mentioned in my previous post, how to upgrade the firmware on your Router... Once the firmware is upgraded sucessfully.... Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

If your Internet Service Providor is Cable follow this link

If your Internet Service Providor is DSL follow this link

ilbknownas1

Thank you very much, problem solved! =)
merly

Please Help!  What if I have a wireless card or device that connects USB and uses a dial up phone # to connect through the internal modem in my system (i assume)?  It will let me connect some times, but for only so long before I get the "DNS server isn't responding" error again.  Thanks so much. Merly

azor

I have a similar problem with our new WRT320N.  I'm also getting that same message "DNS Server isn't responding...detected." 

Can I use the same solution for the WRT320N? Do I use the same address (....2.1? instead of ....1.1?)  Thanks much! 

EnisSahiti

Hi, a few minutes ago i had the same problem with DNS, I tried tu unplug the power cable from the linksys and i left it for 2 minutes with out power, when i plug in it worked. 

I have a Linksys WRT 120n here is the link if you want to know more about this router.

http://support.linksys.com/en-eu/support/routers/WRT120N