monicakm

Tweaks/Optimized Settings for E2000 on Win 7

Set up my E2000 last week.  It (automatically) set up a Guest acct too.  All was well but I read I could increase data transfer and security by making some changes and that I needed to make those changes in the network adapter too. 

On the router page (internet), Wireless tab, Basic wireless setup, I was told to choose manual and change the 2.4 and 5GHz channel widths to "auto (20 or 40MGz).  Also that I should disable SSID Broadcast.  The problem I ran into is making these changes to the adapter settings properties.  I don't see "channel widths" or auto (20 or 40MHz) terms anywhere in properties/configure/advanced.  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or the wrong terms.  The person's advice I was following has a different adapter. 

The wireless adapter in my Dell laptop is a DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card

So I made the changes in the router settings and saved them.  Yep, I couldn't get back to the router settings and I'd broke the Internet :smileywink:  Had to reset the router and start over but this time it did not create a guest acct.  How can I do that?  This is my first foray into wireless and I'm new to Win 7 as well. 

Can anyone help with the above issues and if you have other tweaks or optimization settings, would you mind sharing?

Thanks,

Monica

helm

Re: Tweaks/Optimized Settings for E2000 on Win 7

You can try this settings on your Router..

For 5GHz :

Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbors network.
Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to159 and Standard Channel to 161-5.805GHz...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select AES...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone and remember the key.
NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

For 2.4GHz:

- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbors network...

- Set the Radio Band to Wide-40MHz and change the Wide channel to 9 and Standard Channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on save settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings

Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304 Change the RTS Threshold to 2307 >>Click on "Save Settings"...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

monicakm

Thank you for taking the time to reply :smileyhappy:

Some observations and questions:

I am able to get on line.  I reset the router.  But, I haven't changed any settings yet.

When I try to open Cisco Connect, I get the message: Can't access your router settings.  I then provide the admin/admin user name and password.  I'm able to get to the router settings.

5tGHz

SSID name that Cisco supplied in the Basic Wireless Settings  is different than the one I set up in the Wireless Network in Windows 7.  I'll change the one in router settings to match the one in my Wireless Network.

Is Radio Band and Channel Width the same thing?  My router page calls it Channel Width.

>Wide channel to159 and Standard Channel to 161-5.805GHz<

Under the Channel Width (40MHz) I only have one other option.  It just says Channel and these are my options:

Clipboard01.jpg

Under Wireless/Wireless Security, I have Security Mode and Passphrase but no Encryption, however, it is set to AES in Wireless Network Properties in Win 7. 

Passphrase is currently set to a Cisco assigned key.   I need to make this same change in Wireless Network properties, right?

2.4GHz

I don't have an option of just 40MHz.  It's either 20 or auto (20 or 40).  I'll choose the latter.

Below is a screen shot of the other choices

Clipboard02.jpg

Again, no Encryption option so I can't change it to TKIP.  What are the differences between this and AES?

Advanced Wireless Settings:

I have all those options! :smileyhappy:  Can you tell me what these changes do?   Are any/all of these changes meant to optimize my speed and/or security?  Do you know why I could have been advised to DISable SSID as an enhanced security measure?

Besides matching SSID in router settings and wireless network and matching passphrase/key in both areas, are there any other settings I need to match in wireless network?

Could you tell me how to get Cisco Connect back?   I think it was there that I could set up a guest acct.  Instead of the Cisco Connect box of choices, I get a "Can't access your router settings" message.

One other question.  Would the differences in network adapters be the reason for different options in the router settings?

I'll wait to make these changes after your reply,  Thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

Monica

helm

To use the Cisco Connect software again, you need to change the router password and it should be the same as of your security key which is created by Cisco Connect Software.

Under advance wireless settings if you make the changes on it, it will enhance your wireless signal and you will be better signal strength and data transfer on your computer.

Under 5GHZ change the Channel Width to 40MHZ, Channel : 157 and click on Save Settings

Under 2.4GHz : let the Channel Width to AUTO and click on save settings...

Now you can try to connect to your wireless network again .

monicakm

[ Edited ]

Helm, I made the advanced wireless settings changes and saved the changes.  Everything is OK.  Then I changed the 2.4GHz to auto.  TS had earlier changed it back to 20. Saved changes.  Everything is OK.  Then I changed the 5GHz settings.  That's when I lost my connection and can't access Cisco Connect (on the wireless laptop).  I installed Cisco Connect on the wired desktop, got into the router settings and reset the 5GHz settings to auto and auto, saved settings and tried to connect using the wireless laptop.  Still can't get on line and show no wireless network connections.  Earlier today when I was talking to ts, I asked them about changing the 5GHz settings.  I was told that was for a "dual band" adapter?? and that mine was not dual band.  I believe that was the term.  Dual something.  My adapter is a Broadcom DW1501 Wireless-N Half-Mini. 

Unplugging the router for 30 seconds didn't correct the problem :smileysad:

Now what?

monicakm

Helm, just to let you know, I reset the modem and reinstalled the Cisco software.  After I got back up, I went back to router settings :smileyvery-happy: and applied all the settings except the 5GHz changes.  Everything is operating but I don't know yet if I'm  any faster.  Have any idea why my adapter or router doesn't like me changing the 5GHz changes?

Monica

helm

Cisco connect is used to change the settings of 2.4 Ghz wireless band and not 5 GHz wireless band.

E2000 router is a dual band router but it will only work on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. Not on both the band simultaneously.

monicakm

Helm, I may be a little confused (surprise! :smileyvery-happy:).   I use Cisco Connect to access the router page  (http://192.168.1.1) that has the 5.4GHz settings, along with all the other settings you've mentioned. 

Do I have to have a dual band (if that's the right term) adapter and if so, can you tell me how to determine if it is?  And does the router choose automatically to use one or the other band or do I need set it to use one or the other?  Do you know why the router crashed when I made the changes to the 5GHz settings?  I know all of this is elementary to you and thank  you for taking the time to get me thru this.  I don't just want to just optimize the router settings and be done with it, I am trying to learn what I'm doing and why :smileyhappy: 

Monica

Ricewind

You have to choose which band to use. This router will work on only one band.

Go to Device manager and check which wireless adapter is installed on your computer. If you go to adapter manufacturer's website you will find what kind of wireless adapter it is.

monicakm

My network adapter card is a Broadcom DW1501 Wireless-N Half Mini Card,  Didn't find anything on the Broadcom site but did find what I think is the answer on Dell,  It's about 3/4s the way down the page...

Clipboard01.jpg

http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/document.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&~file=/network/p70008/en/v...

Monica