Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
vikenk

Two Router setup. Using WRT54G as access point.

Hello everyone,

I actually have two questions to ask. The first one is more a theoretical question and the second one is a setup question for my network.

1) I'm currently using a WRT54G as my main router and my old Linksys Wireless B router as a regular wired router, with the wireless and DHCP turned off. I'm running a cable from my WRT54G to the old BEF router. If I run a cable from the WRT54G to the WAN (internet) port of the BEF router, I get no internet. I have to plug it into a regular port for the internet to work. Why is this? Isn't the WAN/Internet port an uplink port? I'm thinking that, in theory, it should work with the cable plugged into the WAN port and I shouldn't have to put it in a regular port.

2) I'm actually going to reconfigure my network because the wireless signal is a bit weak. My WRT54G is on the second floor of my house. That's where my desktop PC is and where my cable modem is. I use my wireless laptop on the first floor and the signal is often on the low side.

Before I reconfigure, I'd like to see if you all think this would work. I plan on using my Old Wireless B router as my main (wired) router with the DHCP enabled and the wireless disabled. I'm going to move the WRT54G to the first floor and run a LAN cable from the wired router to the wireless router. The WRT54G would then have the wireless enabled and the DHCP disabled. So, whis would provide me a strong signal all around the first floor and I would still have wired access to my desktop upstairs. This would effectively make the WRT54G an access point.

Would this work? Again, question #1 pertains here. Would I run the cable to the WAN/Internet port or to a regular port?

Thanks in advance.

Viken K.
--
Viken K.
http://www.vikenk.com
jern

Re: Two Router setup. Using WRT54G as access point.

With reagrd to the first question, connecting the WRT54G to the Internet port of the wireless b will set the wireless b on a different network so if you disable the wireless or the DHCP, you will definitely not get internet access.

2 Question. Yes..moving the WRT54G on the first floor will give you a better range but the configuration will be different. The DHCP of the wireless B should be enabled and you can use this as the main router.

For the WRT54G, there are 2 possible configuration. One is using the WRT54G as a wireless ap/switch. U need to disable the DHCP and change the IP address to the same IP range of the first router. The cable should go from LAN port to LAN port of the WRT54G.

Second, you may connect a cable from the LAN port of the wireless b to the Internet port of the router. You need to enable DHCP and change the IP address of the WRT54G to a different range. Example..192.168.2.1. The WRT54G will be a different network.
vikenk

jern wrote:
With reagrd to the first question, connecting the WRT54G to the Internet port of the wireless b will set the wireless b on a different network so if you disable the wireless or the DHCP, you will definitely not get internet access.

So, the WAN/INternet port of the BEF router is not an uplink port? Also, why would connecting to that port put it on a different network?

2 Question. Yes..moving the WRT54G on the first floor will give you a better range but the configuration will be different. The DHCP of the wireless B should be enabled and you can use this as the main router.

Right, that's my plan :smileyembarrassed:)  The BEF router will have DHCP enabled and wireless disabled.

For the WRT54G, there are 2 possible configuration. One is using the WRT54G as a wireless ap/switch. U need to disable the DHCP and change the IP address to the same IP range of the first router. The cable should go from LAN port to LAN port of the WRT54G.

That was my plan. I was planning on setting the WRT54G to 192.168.1.2. Would that be right? Would that be in the same IP range of the first router?  I'm a liitle fuzzy on how to use IP addresses.

Thanks for your help.

--
Viken K.
jern

Yes. If you will connect the WRT54G to the Internet port of wireless b router, you will need to change the IP address of the wireless b router. you need to set it to 10.10.10.1 IP or 192.168.2.1.

For the second statement, you are correct. They will be on the same range if you will set the WRt54G on 192.168.1.2. But remember, the connection will be from numbered port of the wireless B to numbered port of the WRT54G.
vikenk

Thanks. I think, though, that the downside of setting it up as a different network would be that the computers would not be able to "see" eachother. I could not swap files between my laptop and desktop if they're on separate networks, right?
--
Viken K.
jern

Yes. That is why if you are concern with file sharing, you need to connect it from LAN port of the first router to the LAN port of the second router.
vikenk

Excellent. Thank you very much!
--
Viken K.
jern

Your welcome.
Stucco

I set my routers up like this and the WRT54G works as an access point.

I have an old router running DHCP at 192.168.0.1. I set the Linksys to 192.168.0.2, turned off DHCP, and plugged the ethernet cord into a numbered port instead of the internet one. I have internet access through the wired ports of the linksys.

I would like to set up the wireless through the linksys also, but I can not seem to access the management interface any longer. Any request for 192.168.0.2 times out.
Oleg M

Stucco, quick question - are you running a normal cable from LAN port on one router to a LAN port on another router? Or crossover?

I have almost the same setup - first router from verizon, second - Linksys WRT54G. Disabled DHCP on Linksys, set it's IP to the same network as first router...connected heir LAN ports.. Does not work :smileysad:

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Oleg