TexasGeezer

USB Hard Drive for E3000 Router

I bought the E3000 router as an upgrade to my old Linksys cable gateway and want to use the USB port for a network hard drive storage.  I bought a Western Digital 1.5TB MyBook Essential HD and hooked it to the E3000 via the USB port and was able to see and access it from my various computers, running Windows XP and Windows 7.  Accessing the E3000 router via IE 8 works fine and the "Storage" tab showed the drive and I can create shares fine.

However, I started getting strange behavior when I tried to create and delete folders from my PC.  The folders seemed to create and delete as one would expect, however, if I then tried to recreate a new folder with the same name as a previously deleted folder, I got an error stating that a folder with the same name already exists, even though I could no longer see it on the drive. 

If I connect the HD to my PC, I can see the "deleted" folders and could still access them and then actually delete them.  Apparently the folder did not delete when teh HD was attached to teh router!   Hence, file management with the HD connected to the E3000 is questionable to say the least.  I don't know what other strange issues might arise.

I contacted Western  Digital Tech Support  and was told their MyBook Essential HD was not usable on a router, only on a PC.  This was certainly not evident in any literature i found, nor on the box.  Anyone else tried this combination?

What external USB hard drives will function properly when connected to the E3000?

Klatch

Re: USB Hard Drive for E3000 Router

What happen when you try to recreate the folder with different name....?

What is file system of the HDD...?

Try to hard-reset the router for 1 minute,power cycle the router and check.

TexasGeezer

I reconnected the drive to the router again last night and now all seems to be working properly. 

I have no idea what changed.  I can create, delete and recreate folders using the same folder name and receive no errors.

Drive is NTFS, straight out of the box.

I'm still wondering what make and model harddrives others are using with the USB connection on the E3000 router and what, if any, problems they have encountered.

Klatch

That's Good to know that your issue is resolved now.If you get the problem again then,try to reset the router and re-configure it.

igorlt

I´m having a similar problem here... 

I´ve just bought an external HD from Samsung 1.5tb, that I connected to the E3000 router.

When I create a folder using only uppercase, the router changes it to lowercase. For example, I create a folder named "VIDEOS" and it becomes "videos.

If i create a folder named "aA".. it keeps as "aA".

When I connect the storage directly on my laptop, that doesn´t happen.

Does anyone have an idea what´s going on here?

igorlt

I´ve just reformat the HD using NTFS, and my problem was solved.

albino.eduardo

I have one but i not able to setup the E300 with the WD HD 2T, can you help me ?

kas_jax@yahoo.com

I am having a related problem: doing network backups over my E3000 to my external USB drive (LaCie) in FAT format.

Previously, when direct connecting the USB drive to my laptop, I could do backups (via Norton Ghost, MS Backup, etc) that would result in multiple 4GB files.

Now, when connecting via the E3000 across the network, each backup attempt ends when one 4GB file is created. THe message says something to the effect, 'the network name is no longer available."

Any ideas what is going on?

Everything else on the E3000 seems to be working; am I missing a router setting?

Does the router only support NTFS filesystems?

denegar

I am having this same issue.

Windows 7 (x64) cannot successfully copy large files to the USB attached storage on the Linksys E3000, nor can it run a backup (because it's a large file really), and when I delete files and folders, I get "permission denied" error messages, the files/folders appear to have been deleted, and then come back when I add another file or folder or restart the router.

I have tried three different hard drives, three different files systems, formatted both from Windows and the router, and tried this both wired and wirelessly. The only thing that makes a difference is what operating system I'm using. None of these problems exist when I connect to the storage with a Windows XP computer, so I suspect there is compatibility issue between the Linksys E3000 and Windows 7's network or security features.

Carlos Aguiar

I have tried to connect a Seagate 320GB twice, both times it recognizes and let me do everything, then a few minutes lates I ger the message that "The attached USB device is not supported"

This drive came with ntfs from the manufacturer, I will format it and see if it solves the problem.

According to cisco support online the e3000 can handle HD as big as 1Tb, so it is nice to know that people are being able to use it with larger HD.