mjpassera

USB adaptor speed vs. pci card speed

Hi,

I recently got Hughes Satellite for internet service.  It presently is configured wirelessly with a Wireless-N Broadband Router (WRT160N) and a Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter.

Generally, what would give the fastest internet surfing/page download speeds?

- the USB Network Adapter presently being used, or

a wireless card put into the expansion slot of my PC tower (something like the WMP 300N?)

Thanks, mike

Mediocrates

Re: USB adaptor speed vs. pci card speed

I have never had any luck with USB wireless NIC's. I think they are all junk. The hoops they have to jump through to interface the wireless NIC protocols to USB hardware make them problematic.
mjpassera

Hi,

Thanks for the input.  But, could you also please comment on my initial question?  If the USB and card are both functioning well, and at their fastest speed, which one is faster?

Thanks, mike

Mediocrates

On paper, it shouldn't matter either way. USB 2.0 is theoretically capable of 480MBps for the port (not the device so if you have more than one device on the hub you divide). PCI is 133 MBytes/sec again divided by all the devices on the bus. In either case even if your connection is 300Mbps (37.5Mbytes/sec) that's probably your local bottleneck and your ISP uplink is even worse.