Eisuwana

Unable to access admin page of WRT160N despite using default password

[ Edited ]
My housemates were the ones who set the wireless up and they told me that they didn't change any settings so that means I should be able to log into 198.168.1.1 with the default password and username (admin right?). However, I was not able to and what's bothering me is that this router isn't mine and I don't know what's going to happen to it when my housemates and I stop living together. I wanted to disable the IP address and web address logging settings so that I can have a peace of mind that no sensitive information would be leaked to outsiders. Does anyone know why I can't log in? Does anyone know what the default IP logging settings are? If they are already disabled then I don't care that I can't log in to the administration page.

Message Edited by Eisuwana on 10-09-2008 06:38 PM
mr_exs

Re: Unable to access admin page of WRT160N despite using default password

That's a loaded question...on the WRT300N the default router login is to leave the username blank and "admin" for password. Your router may be different. Just download the user manual for your router. It will be in there. If that does not work, reset your router(also in the manual) and you should be able to use the default login and password. You should add a new password to keep bad people out of your router. :smileyhappy: Oh, wireless security would also keep your network "private".
Eisuwana

The problem is that the router isn't mine and isn't in my room. And I don't want my housemates to think that I don't trust them. Besides, if I reset it, I'll have to set up the whole WPA2 thing again and I don't have the linksys CD. And it's not that I am worried about outsiders hacking in, I am just worried that my housemate might decide to sell the router in the future or something and the router would have all my browsing history in it. It's not a big deal, but I just feel uncomfortable that I have no control over this logging. I have tried every combination of default passwords possible. I guess I'll just have to deal with it.
forsaken

The default router's IP is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 in case you are using DSL connection, username to be left blank and password is "admin" in lower cases (without quotes). If you are not able to login with this information it is possible that the this settings are changed at the time of initial setup with the disk.