Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
wallalis

Unable to access router setup at 192.168.1.1

I have been trying to get into my router setup through 192.168.1.1. It's probably been about a year or more since I've accessed it, but I'm starting having problems with frequent dropped connections with the wireless computer, and I wanted to check the settings. However, I can't access 192.168.1.1, which used to be the IP address according to my old notes. I've tried rebooting my computer and rebooting the router, and it's still not working for me. When I checked ipconfig, the address given for the default gateway is 192.168.254.254 which takes me to my DSL modem/router setup page instead of the Linksys page, so I'm really confused. Short of resetting the router, which I haven't tried yet and wanted to save as a last resort, does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!
ahemsa

Re: Unable to access router setup at 192.168.1.1

If the gateway IP takes you directly to your modem, your router seems to be just acting as a switch. You can download a program called advanced IP scanner and see if per chance the router is assigned to some other IP. If it doesn't show up, you'll probably have to do the reset.

Have you tried to connect to the router with the modem disconnected?
wallalis

Thank you!! Now I feel silly. Your answer got me wondering, and I checked the cables between the router and the modem, and they were not connected correctly. My husband moved the router this morning to see if it would help with the dropping issue, and he apparently didn't get things plugged back in correctly, so that solves my problem.

Thanks a bunch! :smileyhappy:
ahemsa

No problem. I'm glad I could help!