Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
keninsalem

Unable to connect Actiontec M1000

Any suggestions for getting my Linksys WRT160N to work with my Actiontec M1000? I have tried the connections recommended on the setup CD (I have no LAN connection on my Actiontec), and the setup recommended in the Linksys brochure (unplug the existing ethernet cable from the computer and plug it into the yellow port on the Linksys, then plug the supplied blue cable into port 1 on the Linksys and the other end to the computer). I get error 322 - New router or gateway not detected. Qwest tech help says I need to get Linksys to disable DHCP services and change the internal IP to 192.168.0.97. The Linksys help site has instructions for doing that myself, but I am unable to make a connection using 192.168.1.1

Re: Unable to connect Actiontec M1000

[ Edited ]

I have found some instructions for you to follow, as I do not have any knowledge of you modem, it seems the set up is different than most. See if this will work for you. There has been much controversy about setting up this modem as they want you to set a PPPoA connection which is not supported in your Linksys router so I found 2 solutions for you, hope they will work for you.

The exact steps will vary depending on what type of router you have. With the Qwest Actiontec M1000 DO NOTHING. This will be our router. With the second router login.

D-link is 192.168.0.1 and linksys is 192.168.1.1 . You need to plug the router directly into a PC with out is being hooked to the M1000. If you are unsure what the ip is you need consult your manufacturers website. Log into the router and change the local IP for the Router itself to 192.168.0.151. Now you will have to re-log into the router using this new IP. We now need to change the range of the addresses given out.Change the Starting IP Address: to 192.168.0.155. Go ahead and save changes. Now you will have to disalbe the DHCP server on the the router. You are almost done. Now conect the Qwest Actiontec M1000 router to the back of the Linksys router. DO NOT plug it into the WAN port. We have set the router up as an AP so plug it into any port 1 through 4.

OR

1) When looking for info you will find there are two different ways to configure a router behind the M1000. Option one is to set the M100 modem in "Transpoarent Bridging Mode" Option 2 is to use the the DSL modem for ISP login and the gateway to the ISP. With my Linksys WRT54G option 1, "Bridging Mode" WILL NOT WORK, ever. My ISP equires PPPoA protocol and the WRT54G does not support PPPoA and so you can't use this even though you will find postings on the Internet to use "Bridging Mode" This would be for other models of router where PPPoA is supported.

2) So here are the steps for configuring the ActionTec and the WRT54G that worked for me. First configure the ActionTec as instructed by Qwest. I had to make two "special" settings for my situation. First I had to set the ISP protocol to PPPoA and I also had to set ATM encapsulation to "VC-Mux". Both settings are found under the Advanced Settings tab. The PPPoA setting is for my ISP and the VC-Mux is for Qwest networking needs (I think). Then of course I had to enter the "PPP User Name" and "Password" for my ISP access. After this I could Access my ISP from the Modem. I did this setup by having my desktop computer connected directly to the M1000 via ethernet. To get this to work I had to point my compuer or the computer router address to 192.168.0.99 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) which is the DSL IP address.

3) Next step is to get the LinkSys WRT54G connected and working with the DSL Modem. Connect your computer to the Linksys Ethernet and then connect the Ethernet from the Linksys to the M1000. At this point I also did a reset on the Linksys to force all settings back to factory default. At this point you'll need to change the router address on your computer to 192.168.1.1 (the address of the Linksys after factory defaults) I assume you already know how to do this. Then login into the Linksys from your computer. Now on the Setup page of the Linksys enter the following under "Internet Settings" -
a) Select "Static IP"
b) Enter "Internet IP Address" - 192.168.0.99. This is the IP address that the Linksys Router uses to talk to the M1000 modem. (the outbound IP address) This was the same address that the computer used when setting up the M1000 while directly connected.
c) Set the "Subnet Mask" - 255.255.255.0
d) Set the "Gateway Address" - 192.168.0.1 This is the IP address of the DSL modem. So 192.168.0.99 (the Router) will talk to 198.168.0.1 (the M1000) and versus.
e) Enter the DNS IP address(es).

4) Make sure the Local IP address is set. The default is 192.168.1.1. This is the address of the router as seen by all the network nodes on the local network (wired or wireless). This is what is used for each of the network nodes to use as the address of the Router. I left this set to the default.

5) I left all other settings to factory defaults except for the "Time Zone"

Then click on the "Save Settings" button at the bottom of the page. Then bring up another page in your browser and try surfing using some of your memorized bookmarks. You should be in business at this point.

If you still can not get pages to come up there is one of two problems. Either the settings were not set correctly on the Linksys Setup page or you need corrections to settings on your computer. For iunstance in my case I need to have my computer set to a fixed, permananet IP address. So my computer is confirgured manually and when this is done you need to tell the computer where the router is (192.168.1.1) and where the DNS servers are which are usually at your ISP. The ISP will publish these IP numbers and you'll need to enter these numbers whereever a DNS IP address number is needed.

Hope this will help

Ttech

Message Edited by Ttech on 07-18-2008 05:04 PM
great_white

Hi ,,,
let me know if the suggestion provided by user help you or not ...
keninsalem

Sorry to take so long. Been out of town. I have no problem getting into the Actiontec to make suggested changes, but only if that modem is the only one connected to the computer. My problem it doing the same thing with the Linksys. There are only two ways to make the connections between the Linksys-Actiontec-computer, and both of them give me a "no connection detected" when I type 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into the address line. The Actiontec does not have a LAN connection, only a ethernet connection. I am totally lost in trying to follow the second alternative above.

That is correct, just connect the modem and make the necessary changes, once the changes are made you will need to connect the linksys router up and access the router to make any necessary changes to the routers settings.

Now connect the router back up and try performing a factory reset to the linksys router first by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds located on back of the router wait about 2-3 minutes for the router to sync back up, then try to access the router, 192.168.1.1 typed into IE address bar and follow previous instructions.

Hope this helps,
Ttech
keninsalem

Back in town again. Need to take advantage of this great Oregon weather before winter starts next month. Ttech, thanks for the help you are giving me. Before I proceed with your latest suggestions, I have a question about your original post, suggestion #3, where it says, "I assume you already know how to do this." Are you referring to making changes inside the computer, as opposed to the Linksys or Actiontec? If that is the case, I do not know.