iceherz

Unable to contact your DHCP Server

Hello,

I recently updated my hp pavilion 6329 to win xp with the following specs:

Processor AMD K6-2    300.7 MHz, RAM   62 Mb

Before I had a win Me, with it I could connect to the internet and share files fine with a wired connection to a WRT54GS.

With win xp i get while trying to connect "Unable to contact your DHCP Server", Limited connectivity.

I have tried the "netsh int ip reset reset.txt" and the "netsh winsock reset catalog" commands with no luck.

PLEASE HELP!!

toomanydonuts

Re: Unable to contact your DHCP Server

What router are you using?
I assume that your computer is wired to the router  -- is that correct?

Before connecting to the Internet, Internet Explorer must be setup.    To do this, do the following: 

Open Internet Explorer, then go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab > Setup > Next button > Connect to the Internet > Setup my Connection Manually > Connect using a Broadband Connection that is always on > Finish button.  Reboot computer.

Also, in the computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall, including Windows Firewall, and see if that helps.

picohat

Go to wireless router management page, check to ensure you have enabled DHCP setting on router. Also type ipconfig /all in command prompt (cmd.exe) to ensure it displays valid IP, netmask, gateway and DNS info. If it does not display the network info correctly, you can configure the IP and network info manually.
iceherz

Dear donut man,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As you guessed, I am using a wired connection to my WRT54GS router, which is connected to my Homeportal 1070 modem.

I made the changes suggested, with no change. Firewall off and connection changes.

What else could I do to get rid of this annoyance?

Thanks,
Jorge
iceherz

Dear pico,

I reviewed my router settings and rechecked that DHCP is on.

In the ip address im getting 169.254.xxx.xxx, which as I read is a classic response to the "Unable to contact your DHCP Server" problem.

I have already tried to connect via static ip address, with no success, the computer cannot be viewed by other computers on the network.

This computer is to be used as a printer server, so the main issue is the file and printer sharing.

Any other ideas I could get in practice? All apreciated.

Thanks,
Jorge
ridcully

Are you getting this error on wired connection or wireless connection ... .make sure that the router is configure properly ....
Also check the WAN IP under status page of the router ....
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Please do the following test.   Power down your network.  Disconnect the WRT54GS from your modem.  Connect your computer, by ethernet wire, directly to your modem  (not to the WRT54GS).   If your modem has a USB port, do not connect anything to it.   Boot up your modem and computer and verify that you have a working Internet connection.  Then do the following:

Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key.   Copy the results to your next post.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 09-03-2008 12:06 AM
iceherz

Hi, I did the actions you mentioned with these results: Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.254.172.96 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 IP Address: ? Default Gateway and autoconfiguration IP Address are blank. I ran ping localhost and returned 0% loss. Does that mean the Ethernet Card is OK? Thanks.
toomanydonuts

You got those results when you connected to your modem?  If so, you are not getting a connection to the Internet through the modem.

Have you ever been able to make an Internet connection through the modem?

Please state the make and exact model number of your modem.
Please state your ISP.
richard804

[ Edited ]
Sounds like your modem is in bridge mode.  Log on to your router and change your settings from Automatic DHCP to PPoE and input your username and password provided from your ISP.

Message Edited by richard804 on 09-05-2008 07:25 AM
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada