YH
YH

Unable to log into WRT1200N

I host a Minecraft server, and until a few days ago everything worked fine, but now no one can log onto the server. Troubleshooting, I discovered I am unable to access my WRT1200N at all unless I use Simple Port Forwarding. When trying 192.168.1.1, after putting in username and password, the login window disappears and I get an error:

401 Authorization Required

Browser not authentication-capable or authentication failed.

My network uses two routers, the other a Vonage, which I am still able to access and has never given me a problem. When I access the Linksys router with SPF, I am still able to forward ports, but testing the ports always fails. I use Avast and Comodo for security, and have put the relevant port exceptions in my firewall. My connection and speed are otherwise unaffected, but no one can join anything I host.

I have reset both routers at least twice, reset button and unplug for 30 seconds, and updated and reinstalled my server software but the problem still persists. I'm not even sure if the port issue is related, and have been unable to find anyone with a similar problem or solution after searching multiple tech support forums.

Also, I am unsure if this is related either, but the last two days Network Magic has detected an intruder connecting to my network, and I found the security settings had been disabled. I am the only one in my house with acess to the network setup, I have removed the intruder and reset the password for my network, but have no idea how the security was disabled.

Carrot

Re: Unable to log into WRT1200N

According to the scenario the password you are entering is incorrect. If you didn’t remember the correct username and password then you need to reset the router. There are two (2) ways to reset the WRT120N to factory default settings.  Press and hold the Reset button for approximately 10 seconds, or restore the default settings by accessing the router’s web-based setup page.

For more details on how to do this, click on this link: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=9af8f4ff4b7940fab9142139d06e471a_Unable_to_reset_W...

Once you done with the following procedure reconfigure the router and open the ports for the Minecraft server and then check the connectivity status..

ScarletJamie

YH wrote:

I host a Minecraft server, and until a few days ago everything worked fine, but now no one can log onto the server. Troubleshooting, I discovered I am unable to access my WRT1200N at all unless I use Simple Port Forwarding. When trying 192.168.1.1, after putting in username and password, the login window disappears and I get an error:

401 Authorization Required

Browser not authentication-capable or authentication failed.

My network uses two routers, the other a Vonage, which I am still able to access and has never given me a problem. When I access the Linksys router with SPF, I am still able to forward ports, but testing the ports always fails. I use Avast and Comodo for security, and have put the relevant port exceptions in my firewall. My connection and speed are otherwise unaffected, but no one can join anything I host.

I have reset both routers at least twice, reset button and unplug for 30 seconds, and updated and reinstalled my server software but the problem still persists. I'm not even sure if the port issue is related, and have been unable to find anyone with a similar problem or solution after searching multiple tech support forums.

Also, I am unsure if this is related either, but the last two days Network Magic has detected an intruder connecting to my network, and I found the security settings had been disabled. I am the only one in my house with acess to the network setup, I have removed the intruder and reset the password for my network, but have no idea how the security was disabled.

Just make sure firmware of that router is updated. You can download the firmware here http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT120N.

YH
YH

As stated in my OP, I have reset the router to factory defaults several times, including once more after your response. I have even ran the router setup and config wizard again. The problem persists.

The default password and username work, so I know they aren't the problem, I am still only able to log into the router with the program Simple Port Forwarding, but even then no matter how many times I undo and redo the forwards and exceptions, my server is unreachable.

It is when trying to login to the router with my web browser that the login window disappears. It doesn't just give me the error, the window vanishes and I have to re-enter a name and pass. This continues ad infinitum until I hit cancel, which gives me the warning. I also cannot connect with the Run/CMD method at all.

Because I cannot login to the router, I cannot update it. I have tried while logged in with SPF as well, it doesn't work.

Expert
sabretooth

What browsers have you tried?

YH
YH

Firefox and IE.

IE gives me a "page cannot be displayed" message.

My router firmware version is v1.0.07, not sure how recent that is or if it makes a difference.

Jake_2.0

have you tried the basic troubleshooting stuff like deleting the browsing history,disablibg firewalls or even try to use another computer?

YH
YH

My computer hosts the network, the router is physically attached with cables to this machine. I am able to login from another computer on the network but am unable to change any settings or view anything other than the main page.

For the router, I have:

- Reset the router factory defaults several times, holding the reset button until the lights blink and then power cycling the router for 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 2 minutes, 10 minutes, and over night. I have done this again when asked to reset the router here.

- Deleted and re-enabled port exceptions using Simple Port Forward, the only way I can log into the router, but am unable to update the router firmware this way. Checking if ports are open fails.

- Deleted and re-enabled port exceptions in Comodo and Windows Firewall.

- Disabled my firewall and anti-virus software.

- Tried logging into the router with Internet Explorer and Firefox using my password, the factory default, and no password.

- Tried logging into the router with the command prompt, by going to Start, Run, CMD and entering the router IP 192.168.1.1.

For my server, I have:

- Uninstalled, reinstalled and updated my server software twice.

- Checked to make sure my server IP has not changed and that is what others are using to try to access the server.

opheliaimmortal23

Hi. Just a question, have you ever tried disconnecting the router from anything else and just plugged-in a computer to it to do the firmware upgrade and reconfigure? How about you try it that way to isolate if it is a hardware issue.

YH
YH

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking me to do. I don't know how to access the router without using a browser or command prompt, without being connected to a network.

If you or someone else could please explain it step-by-step, I'll give it a try.