hpmsrm

Use of Linksys wireless router with current 2Wire DSL modem/router

I have ATT/Yahoo DSL service. I use the standard 2Wire wireless/hardwire modem/router that came from AT&T. I am using it in the wireless configuration so as to be able to carry the notebooks around the house and use them anywhere. The desktop is also functioning in wireless mode so that I can locate the modem/router in a central spot to give better house-wide coverage. However....coverage is still rather inadequate.
I am considering purchasing a higher powered/more sensitive Linksys wireless router to get better coverage. Without having to purchase a new modem....how should I hook this new router to the existing modem/router and how do I turn off the wireless part of the old unit so that it won't interfere with the new one?
Any help and/or suggestions will be much appreciated. Perhaps the answer is simple and straight forward but I want to know for sure before I spend my hard earned money.

Harold
forsaken

Re: Use of Linksys wireless router with current 2Wire DSL modem/router

first off , you would need to bridge the modem/router and then configure the Linksys router for a PPPoE connection ...you would also require an username and password from the ISP
not quite sure about disabling the wireless feature on the old unit ..
hpmsrm

OK. Thank you for the information. Glad I asked before I spent my money. Frankly....although I'm computer experienced....I'm definitely not a geek and this sounds complicated to me. Perhaps it would be easier just to buy a new modem and separate router from Linksys and go from there. Thanks again.
nick007in2003

hi,
   just disabled the dhcp of the modem&disabled all wirless setting
babznme

HI, I think I understand what my password and username would be according to my ISP. They sent it to me. However, on one of their support pages they say to disable the DHCP in the router and in the email they sent they say use DHCP for wireless connection. WHAT??? I have NetZero, even thought they say they do not support wireless networks they said I can make one. WHAT??? I have a 2wire dsl modem and a linksys wrt54g. My computer is a Dell 4700, pretty new. I hook everything up the way I'm supposed to. (I know a little bit) But I cannot access the internet if the router is hooked up. I can every time I unplug it. So why can't I get online through the router? How do I make a "bridge"? How do I turn off the wireless capabilities in the 2wire modem? Worst of all...should I just pay the 40 bucks to Circuit City to install my network??? or even more worse...do I have to leave NetZero???? Thanks so much for your time to answer me.
jesusponce

I have exactly the same problem my friends. I have a home portal 2wire 1700hg and my isp is telmex. Moreover i have a wireless-N security router wrvs4400n linksys. Someone told me that I had to connect the 2wire ethernet port to the linksys internet port, in addition in the 2wire i disable the wireless and turn on the dmz function. And on the other hand in the linksys I configured the type of Internet connection like an automatic configuration - dhcp (no PPoE). The truth I have heard many versions as this and you know what, none of them have worked, and I finished plugging the ethernet port of 2wire to the linksys ethernet port and only take advantage of the the wireless linksys, what a shame. Please if some one know how to do it in the right way, ask me know. thanks ! 
shooty

[ Edited ]
hi,
to disable the router portion of a 2wire modem/router:
goto http://gateway.2wire.net/managment
under Advanced – Configure Services
uncheck disable routing

you will now configure your login/pass to the dsl on your new router

Message Edited by shooty on 04-24-2008 03:34 AM
DSE 1

You should leave everything like it was before you started changing things and use a Wireless Bridge and the router. I have that setup that I have mentioned. My DSL Modem - Router is within a 75 feet area of my computer and I am using it wirelessly. Although I am using 2 routers besides the main. 1 is setup as a wireless bridge with 3rd party programming. the 2nd router is used to have the connection to the computer wirelessly.