Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
harleyx

Using 2 routers on my network...

My plan to take over the world (or at least my little piece of it) now involve using my WRT54G V8 as my main router/wireless transmitter, connected (wired) to my main computer. I want to use the WRT54G2 in the theater room connected to the Audio receiver (for internet radio and shared music files). the distance is too great to run wire, and all walls & ceilings are finished.
Anyone tried this before, have any suggestions?
Expert
sabretooth

Re: Using 2 routers on my network...

Sorry, no you will not be able to do this with the routers.   With Linksys firmware you must have a cable connection between the two.  However, you can do this by installing 3rd party firmware on both routers like DD-WRT or Tomato.

harleyx

Im running dd-wrt on both
helm

If you are using the dd-wrt firmware, you must match the wireless settings on both the routers...
harleyx

So the SSID, Network name, PW should be the same on both? and the wired one will broadcast to the other?

The G2 is the uit Im using for the theater, the connection doesnt come on until I turn the reciever on

kevj

If you are using DD-WRT, you should reference their extensive Wiki page on connecting routers together, and pick the method that siuts your application best:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops