Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
smwilli
Accepted Solution

Using a WAP54G as a repeater for E2500 router

I have an E2500 wireless N router that I recently bought to replace a cheapie netgear that I lent to family.  The router is in the basement near a bunch of metal ducting and I live near a radio station, both of which I believe is killing my signal.  Anyways, I was able to pick up a WAP54G wireless access point.  I would like to use it as a wired repeater (hopefully to get the signal up into the upper levels of my house).  Can I use the WAP54G with the E2500?  I looked in the setup page when I was trying to set it up as a repeater, and it says it will only connect with another WAP54G or a WRT54G (linksys wireless g router).

smwilli

Re: Using a WAP54G as a repeater for E2500 router

Well, I'm guessing, base on my last statement, I'll need either a wired router to replace the e2500 and put that upstairs, or find another wireless router to act as a repeater.

wouterv

[ Edited ]

If you are able to pull a CAT5 (ethernet) cable from the basement to a nice location for your WAP54G, I would recommend so and use the WAP54G as additional accesspoint with its own SSID, of course from the WAP54G you only have 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g.

The WAP54G doesnt work very well as Repeater or any thing beyond Accesspoint.

smwilli

[ Edited ]

I'm not superknowledgeable about these things.  What settings do I use for the wap54g to set it up as you suggested.  My house is already networked with cat5e, but it would be nice to be able to use the laptop without having to plug it in.

As a side note, even if the speed is only G, it's still better than the nothing I have now.

wouterv

[ Edited ]

Setup for using the WAP54G as Wireless Accesspoint, with a cable connection from the WAP54G to your router is pretty straightforward.

The default IP address of a WAP54G is 192.168.1.245.

If your router is at the default address 192.168.1.1, you can directly cable connect the WAP54G to the router.

Then open a webbrowser and access the WAP54G at its default address 192.168.1.245, default password "admin".

If that all succeed sofar you can leave the WAP54G LAN settings at default.

Just adapt the Wireless settings to your wishes: set a SSID, unique and different then your router, set a channel, unique and different then your router, set the wireless security type and passphrase (I suggest the same as your router).

In the Password Tab you set your own password to access the WAP54G for future configuration.

All the rest can be left default.

Power cycle the WAP54G after all your changes, you should now be able to wireless connect to the WAP54G with its own SSID and wireless security settings and you should have Internet access through the WAP54G.

smwilli

I got a speed of 10 megabit/sec using wap54g and 17 megabit/sec using a wired connection.  Not too bad and definitly useable.  The access point is doing exactly what I would like.  Thanks so much!

wouterv

[ Edited ]

Great:-)

10 wireless is fair compared to 17 for wired, although I had expected a little better.

I dont own a WAP54G anymore, I cant recall I ever did speed tests through the WAP, I know it doesnt have much memory and the CPU is not the fastest, that counts too.

Maybe other users in your home do "eat" some of your bandwidth.

It works, and without extra investments, that counts :-)