slindle

Using a router as an access point?

I have a WRT310N that I use for my router; someone gave me a WRT160N that they no longer needed.  Can the 160 be set up to act as an access point?  IF so, how would I go about doing that?
DSE 1

Re: Using a router as an access point?

Yes. Just connect the LAN of the first router to the LAN of the second router.
teacab

will this work for a router that is not a linksys router? I have a 2wire ( 2701hg-b ) modem/router from AT&T and would like to set up an access point in another part of the house for the perpose of getting a better wifi signal.
slindle

That's good for a wired solution but can I do anything via the wireless?
DSE 1

Yes , You can still access the Internet with wireless as well you can with ethernet.
slindle

Let's say I put the second router in my garage a few hundred yards from the first router without a wired connection; can I get the second router to see the first router (connected to the internet) via the wireless?

DSE 1

No , you would not get the signal like that with having wireless Bridge , you can use a WRT54G router with 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT that has a feature that will work, The feature is a Repeater Bridge & it does work like that. I'm not sure on the range between the two routers. I know that it can be done. I am using the repeater bridge at my home & I have two of them a WRT54G v3 & v8.
slindle

That's interesting; I happen to have a WRT54G as well.  Where can I find this DD-WRT firmware?
lord_maxthor

I won't work. Even if you try upgrading/changing the router's firmware you will have problems for that setup. Your Linksys router's has no AP Mode Only to begin with, so it won't work that way. The only way to have it work is by cascading the routers.
Regards,
Lord Maxthor
scrooge

Well its not possible to setup your 2nd Linksys Router WRT160N in an Access point mode, with the Linksys Firmware Installed on it. May be your can try DD-WRT Firmware, As this firmware has a Feature to make your Router work as a Access Point. So once you install the DD-WRT firmware on your 2nd router, and Once you configure all the settings on your Router then you can keep your 2nd Router away from the 1st Router without Connecting any ethernet cable and all your computer should be able to go online Wirelessly.