Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mike60510

Using a wireless router with a wired router

I have a BEFW11s4 wireless and a newer 8 port wired router, both Linksys. I have my wired router connected to the cable modem and the wireless router is connected to a regular port on the wired router. the wired router is set up as 192.168.1.1 and the wireless is set at 192.168.1.2. I am using one of the four ports of the wireless router to connect the wireless router to the wired 8 port wired router that is intern connected to the cable modem. If I am on a wireless device, I am a little confused on which router (wireless or wired) is assigning my internal IP address. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that the only way the wireless router would assign an internal IP address is if I am using the "WAN" output as the output of the wireless router. Correct?
Expert
Expert

Re: Using a wireless router with a wired router

A DHCP server assigns the internal IP addresses. You should only have one running in your network, i.e. either on the wireless or the wired router (unless you run a computer as DHCP server). If you did not disable one of the servers on the routers and thus both a running DHCP servers this could lead to some confusion and IP address conflicts.

So the setup you have described is correct so far. You have connected a LAN port of the wired router with an LAN port of the wireless router. That way you will use wireless router just like an access point. When a computer connects through the wireless router it broadcasts a DHCP request on the LAN to obtain an ip address. A DHCP server will answer that request and assign one.

So your question: no. Not correct. You wireless router will assign internal ip addresses if it runs a DHCP server. If both routers run DHCP server both will answer and it is hard to tell with which internal ip address the client will end up...

In case you have not disabled one of the DHCP server I would highly recommend to do so. I would disable the one on the wireless router but that may just be my personal perference.
mike60510

thanks for the help and fast response. I guess that could be put in a networks 101 file. I've been running the network like that for about three years now and this explains my sproatic problems with seeing wired and wireless computers on my network.
vbronnik

I have setup my wired router BEFSR81v2 and wireless behind it WRT54GC and I am able to get to the other devices on the network, I see my SSID and all that fun stuff. But I cannot get to any webspage on the internet. I should mention that I did setup the WEP and disabled broadcasting of my SSID but I tested the settings with just wireless router and was able to get to anything with that setup. Once I put it behind the wired, I can only get to INTRAnet. Please help!

p.s. had to connect to the network through a guess of IP address and hardset it in the network connection properties, once I put it on wired.....

ARCHANGEL_06

Make sure you get the network key 1 on your wireless router's interface and type that in as your network key on the computer, it would not be able to let you connect if that is not typed in.
You can also use this if you are on XP

If that does not help.

Reset your wireless router and configure it this way

Reconnect to your wireless router after that and you should have no problems. Resetting it would revert your router into no encryption.:smileywink:
"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06
Expert
Expert

It would be easier to open a new thread instead of posting your problem in several other threads on other problems...

Do you get a proper wireless connection established?
Do you get a IP address assigned from the router?
Can you ping the router and and open the web configuration?
Have you disabled the DHCP on the WRT?
Have you configured a proper non-conflicting static IP address in your LAN to the WRT?
Have you connected a LAN port of the WRT with a LAN port of the BEF?
CL
CL

I've been trying to help my sister setup a similar set with a WRT54GC acting as an access point behind a BEFSR41 which is connected to the WAN. 

Please let me know if this is the correct setup to use:

a) BEFSR41 acts as the DHCP server with a LANIP of 192.168.1.1 and DHCP range of 192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.254 with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0
b) WRT54GC LANIP is set to 192.168.1.2 identical subnet mask as above and DHCP server is turned off
c) WRT54GC security settings are disabled
d) WRT54GC wireless settings selected, with SSID broadcast off (so noone can just stumble onto the network with WEP enabled, key selected, etc)
e) WRT54GC advanced routing operating mode is set to router
f) WRT54GC has ethernet cable from the BEFSR41 connected LAN port to LAN port

Is this right?  I am going to be walking her through this process remotely so I want to make sure that I have the settings right.  My main questions are in regards to parts e, and f and whether those are the right configurations.

Thanks,

Chris
Drexl

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. You might also have to go into static routing, (under Satus and Advanced Settings), and set up an entry with the Destination IP address as 192.168.1.0, subnet as 255.255.255.0 and Gateway as 192.168.1.1. I'm not sure if you'll need to do that but my network wouldn't work until I did it.
recker

Hi,

Please tell me if it is so, why to buy an access point (like WAP54G) and not the WRT (- which is less expensive)? What are the benefits to use an accesspoint over the router with this configuration?

Thanks,

Ron
Expert
Expert

Everything is fine. Comments:

Re a) Changing the DHCP range is not necessary. You could just leave the default 100-149 range.
Re c) You don't have to turn off the security settings. The security settings affect the filtering between the WAN and the LAN. As nothing is on the WAN, just leave it as it is.
Re d) Certainly WPA or WPA2 would be preferable if possible (depending on the wireless cards...)
Re e) You can leave the router in gateway mode. Again, router or gateway mode is only relevant for the WAN-LAN connections which you won't use.
Re f) is the essential step. The WAN port remains empty. Only the LAN ports are used on the WRT.

If you leave the security settings on their default settings (c) and the router in gateway mode (e) can be easily reconfigure to used as router if necessary. Thus, if the BEF stops working for whatever reason, you simply plug the modem into the WAN port of the WRT, turn on the DHCP server again and change its IP address from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.1.