pharman007

Using network printer with WRT54G router

I am told I can use my router to share files and printers between my desktop (XP) and laptop (Windows 7) computers. I tried for hours to set up a Home network according to the help instructions, the wireless connection to the internet is fine, but neither computer can find the other on the network! I have used the network and wireless wizards. I have not done anything as far as the router goes.

Is it possible to do this? Do I have to program or change router settings? I*s the different operating systems the problem?

Any help would be appreciated! I can give more details of what I did if needed! Could use a good set of instructions if possible!

Thanks,   Pharman007

bennor

Re: Using network printer with WRT54G router

I've had mixed results when trying to network share both Windows 7 and Windows XP. Most of the time the Windows 7 computer can see the Windows XP computer, where as XP usually doesn't see the Windows 7 computer unless I map the Windows 7 via it's network IP address.

There are some general configuration guides out there for network sharing. Like this one from Microsoft details how to setup a home network: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-...

Biggest thing to remember is that all computers that are to be shared MUST use the same workgroup name. Some have reported success by changing the default workgroup name to HOME rather than the default name of WORKGROUP. Next if using third party firewall software ensure it is configured to allow network sharing, or that it "trusts" the local network to allow for sharing. And all computers must be on the same IP network/subnet mask. For example all shared devices should reside in the 192.168.1.x IP range with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

With Windows 7 there may be some additional steps that may need to be taken to properly communicate with Windows XP. The steps below were taken from this posting: http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/2510-windows-networking-fixed-windows-7-xp.html.

THIS IS AFTER YOU HAVE SHARED THE FOLDERS AND FILES OF YOUR CHOICE!

1. unjoin any "homegroups."
2. make sure your connection is considered a "HOME" connection.
3. Open network and sharing center and click on Choose homegroup and sharing options...
4. Then click Change Advanced sharing settings.
5. Expand Home and Work.
6. Make sure these options are selected...

A. Turn on Network Discovery
B. Turn on File and Printer sharing
C. Select Either: Turn on sharing so that anyone with network access can open files
OR: Turn on sharing so that anyone with network access can open, change and create files.
D. Turn off password protected sharing
E. Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers.

UnknownHero

[ Edited ]

I know Microsoft has an article on how to set this up. Just can't find it at the moment.

You may try searching in Microsoft's Knowledgebase as well.

EDIT: Oops... Bennor posted it already.

pharman007

So it can be done! I have workgroup as Home and have turned on the file and printer sharing. I'm not sure about the IP address's. I am going to try somemore!

Thanks for the quick response!  Pharman007

Faux Pas

[ Edited ]

Also, turning on file and printer sharing via the network-setup wizard ought to open a hole in the firewall, but it doesn’t hurt to check afterward, just to make sure. It's Windows after all. :smileysad:

And of course the router's firewall, too. Ports 139 and 445, as I recall.

pharman007

OK! So after some trial and error I got a Home Network to be able to share files from desktop to laptop. But Norton 360 must be disabled on Windows 7 (Laptop) for it to work!     Any suggestions how to get around that?

Also when I check the desktop-(main computer with the printer) from my laptop, it shows the printer with the shared files, but when double clicking it there is “Printer not connected need INF. File”     What is that? I can see the printer,  but does not work-Any help??  Can I send it to an IP address and how do I find that address and method?

I guess I should use a different name as Home as someone with wireless computer outside my house could connect to my network??

Thanks again for help!!

castor

Follow this link to enable file and printer sharing on your computer. See if that works.

pharman007

I installed a different driver on the laptop and now it prints! Thanks again!   Pharman007

bspillma

I have exactly the problem you had, I believe.  A Windows XP PC wired to my Laserjet printer and also wired to the router.  My laptop runs Windows 7, and Network magic shows the printer linked to the XP machine on both.  I had no problem linking the laptop to the network, but the Windows 7 machine can't find the printer linked to the PC.  Can you tell me how and on which machine you found and installed the new driver?