Accepted Solution

Using the E2000 as a wireless bridge

After getting informed that I cannot use the AP I bought yesterday as a bridge, I decided to get another linksys E2000, as the guy in the shop informed me that I can run it in bridge mode for sure.

Now, as I am doing this for the first time, and my english is not the best, I was not able to find some instructions, or even better a step-by-step manual that can assist me. I searched the forum, but I did not find anything about the E2000 in bridge mode. AS I said my english is not the best, so can anybody help me? If someone can find some step-by-step instructions that would be great. It is no problem if it is in english, if there are some pictures. I hope I can finally use the WLAN today...

Expert
Expert

Re: Using the E2000 as a wireless bridge

No. You cannot use it as wireless bridge. The E2000 does not connect wirelessly to other wireless access points/routers. You must connect it with an ethernet cable to your existing network.

[ Edited ]

I am going to shoot s1 right now. I tell those guys exactly what I want, and they now suggested 2 times the wrong thing.

Can you tell me please what a good bridge is?

Is the WET610N good?

Expert
Expert

The WET610N is a wireless bridge. That should work. I don't have one thus I can't tell whether it's good or not.

Yep, I set it up, and it works fine as you can see :smileywink:

Do you have the procedure that you did to setup your second router?

Didn't work with the E2000 but the WET610N worked.

it is easy to set up, there is a setup manual with it...

Ive not tried it yet myself but I'm told the open source dd-wrt firmware is cable of bridging and supports the e2000.   I might actually try it.

Re: Using the E2000 as a wireless bridge. How to set up the e2000 as a wireless bridge.

This is how to do it:

Have both routers near each other, you have have to plug them into each other at a later point and do some voodoo.  I suggest having the main router connected to the internet and nothing else, the e2000 connected only to a computer in order to configure it.  

1,)   open the web form for the router which will be the main NON-Bridge router, get its IP address.  

2.)  With only the e2000 connected to the computer, open its web configuration page.  Set the Wireless Security to WPA2Personal.  You have to do this first if you want the router secured.  Once you do the next steps you will not be able to see the routher via the Web Page,

3.)  Go to the SETUP page, At DHCP Server Settings, DISABLE DHCP Server.

4.) At NETWORK SETUP, Change the IP address so it is different that the address of the main router, I used 192.168.1.2 for the e2000.

Save the changes.  

5.)  Once this is done disconnect the e2000 from the computer, and plug the ethernet cord into any port on the main router.  Disconnect the power cord to the e2000, wait ten seconds, perform you prefered VOODOO ritual here, as I tryed so many things I might have missed something at this point.

Plug the power cord back into the router, allow it to cycle untl the power light stays solid.  

You can use the router as a bridge, I hope.