Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
billt1111

Verizon FIOS Actiontec router

I have used Cisco routers on my Verizon FIOS network for 7 years now at the same address in Fort Worth TX.  Currently I have an E4200 that I am completely happy with and know well.  Verizon just sent me an Actiontec router that only does 802.11 g saying my 'old' router was 'incompatible' with their network. 

Has anyone else gotten this message from Verizon FIOS?  Any idea what happens if I do nothing, i.e. do they really shut the network off like they are threatening to do?

Bill

earthmyrll120288

Re: Verizon FIOS Actiontec router

Do you have a separate modem from Verizon? If yes, then it should be fine to keep the E4200 router. They shouldn't disable your connection if  you are using another router. You can tell them that the router you have can perform a lot better than what they are offering.

However if they would really force you to use the router they are offering then you can cascade the E4200 to there router and keep using the wireless connection from the E4200

Expert
jlbjlb

You'll be able to keep the linksys. You'll need to cascade (as earth said) lan to wan or put the linksys in to bridge mode. I'm pretty sure the fios actiontec modem/router has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1....... as does the linksys. So make sure you don't double NAT on the same subnet if you choose to do the LAN to wan connection setup.

If you decide to put the linksys in to bridge mode, there's instructions on your router's support page.
billt1111

I have never had a Verizon router.  It was installed originally with a Linksys and I have upgraded it every time Cisco came out with a new version which is why I have the E4200 now.  I am relatively certain that swapping the E4200 out for a 5 year old Actiontec router will seriously degrade the performance of my network.  Wouldn't you think so?  I am thinking that since I am not using Fios TV service (only Internet) that they really don't care if I keep it, but I am not sure how they figured it out in the first place. 

Expert
jlbjlb

If the link below is the Actiontec fios router, you'll be fine.  It has an IP passthrough feature.  You can just configure the IP passthrough to your Linksys, so there will be no need to put the linksys in to bridge mode.  When you use the IP passthrough feature on the Actiontec, you'll be bypassing it's firewall and NAT.  So you'll be using the linksys' firewall and NAT as the linksys will be getting a public IP address delivered to it's internet port.

The Actiontec is plenty fast enough so you shouldn't notice any performance difference if you use the IP passthrough.  The only possible performance drawback is if it adds buffer bloat.  But you can check to see (and compare) if it adds any buffering by using Netalyzr.  Your bandwith is probably high enough with fios that you won't notice any difference.  And you can disable the Actiontec's wireless and not use it.  You can just use the linksys wireless exclusively.

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/MI424WR%20Verizon%20FiOS%20Router%20Datasheet.pdf

Expert
jlbjlb

Or you can put the actiontec in to bridge mode.  See #4

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

earthmyrll120288

billt1111 wrote:

I have never had a Verizon router.  It was installed originally with a Linksys and I have upgraded it every time Cisco came out with a new version which is why I have the E4200 now.  I am relatively certain that swapping the E4200 out for a 5 year old Actiontec router will seriously degrade the performance of my network.  Wouldn't you think so?  I am thinking that since I am not using Fios TV service (only Internet) that they really don't care if I keep it, but I am not sure how they figured it out in the first place. 

I see. You are not using a modem. You have an ethernet cord coming from the wall that goes to your E4200 right? If that is the case then it ok keeping the Linksys router. As long as your computer goes online through that cord from the wall then there is always a way that we can setup the Linksys to sync up with that type of connection. However, if they would really force you to use there router, then that is fine because we can always cascade the Linksys router to there router and keep the wireless working on the Linksys.

PS. I believe this a some kind of marketing strategy from Verizon. :smileyvery-happy:

Ask them why a 5 year old router is supported but the E4200 is not? It is our right as a consumer to know about those things.

Expert
jlbjlb

Yeah, I think Earth is right.  When you said "incompatible", I was thinking they were forcing you to use coax.  As earth said, as long as you still have ethernet, your linksys should work for internet..........but probably not TV should you ever decide to use their tv services.

I'm pretty sure any new installations of fios can no longer use ethernet and have to use MoCA.

billt1111

Yes I have an ethernet cable coming from the Fios demarc on the outside of the home, connecting to the Cisco E4200 in my data closet.  I have never had Fios TV so I don't know for sure how it would differ.  The Cisco router also switches all of my DirecTV Home Network traffic between my DVRs.  I think it is better than the Actiontec at that as well.

jaymay

I agree that it might degrade the performance of your network if you use that actiontec router verizon will provide you. Is there any way that you decline using that actiontec router? :smileywink: If they will really insist, just go ahead and cascase the E4200 router to that actiontec router. The internet should still work.