dawgfan1785

Virus attack on router?

[ Edited ]

I have an issue with my router this happened twice in 1 week. I have reset the router but this keeps happening. What could this be? Could this be some hacker attacking my router or a virus trying to get in? See the video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R2RYDsitf4

Please leave comments on the forum. You can also leave them on the video page but Iwould rather the comments be left on this forum. My router is hardware version 5 and it has the latest firmware. This has been a good router I am not ready to give it up. It has a range better than a wireless N i have that is why I am still useing this router. Oh and I live away from town and only a few neighbors have wireless but they are not close enough to cause problems.

Thanks

netaddict68

Re: Virus attack on router?

You said you performed a reset and the problem recurs.  Have you done a hard reset using the 30-30-30 method? That involves pressing the reset button for 30 secs, removing the power for 30 while still pressing in the reset button. Then plugging power back in while still holding for 30 last seconds.  Then after that power if off and wait 60 seconds before resuming. This will perform a complete hardreset where the unit should be restored to all factory defaults of the firmware.

If the above steps does not fix the issue then the next step would be to reflash the router with the latest firmware.  If after a firmware upgrade the issue continues then the router is more then likely on its way out and needs replaced.

dawgfan1785

[ Edited ]

OK This time I have not done the hard reset because the firmware was the same. It has been about a year when this happened last. That is why I think the router is OK and someone told me a virus can get into a router. Everyhting seems OK when I reset it I reset iot last week and it was OK for a day or 2 and then back like that . Now it seems good no problems. I like this model because the antennas are removeable and I have thought about getting an outdoor antenna but I may not put no money like that into it. Maybe they need an updated firmware. I would like to try dd-wrt but I am scared to risk bricking the router.

netaddict68

Speaking of a virus there is a known virus that can indeed infect the memory of a router or modem. However powering off and reseting the device clears the ram of the virus and things should go back to normal. However to keep these types of virus out of the system you need to make sure you have a very strong user ID password combination and not the defaults which will always be at high risk.

lolo121

I had a problem with the rooter too and it seemed to be becouse of the antivirus. I used avast and i changed it with an old version of kaspersky and now it's ok. Maybe it works for you too, it deserves to try. I give you a link with the program i have installed 

http://www.trustdownload.com/Antivirus-and-Spyware-Cleaners/Antivirus/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-7....