Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Buster666

WEP Vs WPA Encryption

I have been using WEP encryption on my Linksys router without any problems. I tried to add my wife's Macbook to the network but it does not like the length WEP key. I switched to WPA based on some information I found at a Mac site. Now I can get the Macbook to work with the new configuration but my Windows XP laptop won't work. I changed all the properties for my wifi connection for my laptop.

CT

toomanydonuts

Re: WEP Vs WPA Encryption

[ Edited ]

Please note the following:

WPA  =  WPA with TKIP  =  PSK

WPA2 =  WPA with AES  =  PSK2

So, are you using "WPA with TKIP" or "WPA with AES"?

If you are using WPA with AES, this = WPA2.  Windows XP requires SP3 to runs WPA2.  So, if this is your situation, this would explain why you cannot connect.

If this is not your problem, then do the following:

First of all, in the router, give your network a unique SSID. Do not use "linksys". If you are using "linksys" you may be trying to connect to your neighbor's router. Also set "SSID Broadcast" to "enabled". This will help your computer find and lock on to your router's signal.

Also, in the computer, go to your wireless software, and go to "Preferred Networks" (sometimes called "Profiles" ). There are probably a few networks listed. Delete any network named "linksys". Also delete any network that you do not recognize, or that you no longer use.  Delete your current network (this will remove any old settings.)  Reboot computer.  Return to "Preferred Networks" and re-enter your current network info (SSID, encryption (if any), and key (if any) ). Then select your current network and make it your default network, and set it to automatic login. You may need to go to "settings" to do this, or you may need to right click on your network and select "Properties" or "settings".  Reboot computer.  You should connect automatically (within 2 minutes).  If you still have trouble, in the computer, temporarily turn off your computer software firewall, and see if that helps.

If the above does not fix your problem, download and install the latest driver for your wireless card.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 12-31-2008 05:05 AM
forsaken

Your Operating System does not support WPA security...You need to Install a patch on your XP computer that will support WPA security...KB893357, goto Microsoft website and look for the Patch and install it...
Buster666

I downloaded the patch but when I tried to install it, I received a message saying my O/S is more up to date than the patch.
Buster666

The best I could do was  to get WEP working again with the Mac, 2 Dell laptops and an IBM laptop. When I shut down the computers for the night, the only one that would connect was the Mac. I've disabled encryption because I am now frustrated and PO'd.

CT

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]

Note that the Microsoft KB893357 patch was superceded by the KB 917021 patch.  This patch is only for Windows XP SP2.  If you have already installed SP3, then you do not need this patch.   If you are still using SP2, the better option is to install SP3, rather than simply installing the patch.  The patch should only be used by those who cannot install SP3 for some reason.

Did you follow all the advice in my prior post?

Are you trying to use WPA?  or WPA2?

WPA and WPA2 are more robust encryption methods than WEP.  For this reason, they require a better wireless connection.  For example, some systems will fail to connect in WPA or WPA2 if "SSID broadcast" is set to "disabled".  Also note that each time you change your encryption method, in the computer, you should go to "Preferred Networks" and delete your old network settings, reboot, then return to "Preferred Networks" and enter your new network settings.

If you need more help, please fill us in on more details.  Perhaps trying to fix one computer at a time would be more productive.  Tell us exactly what your wireless settings are, and the details of the computer that will not work, including make and model of wireless card, operating system and SP, etc.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 01-02-2009 03:29 AM
Buster666

Yes I did follow your previous instructions. Your comment about SSID is interesting though. I did disable that. The Mac is right beside the router but the other laptops are on a different floor. Is it possible the difference in proximity is causing me grief? Signal strength bars always read excellent.

Sorry but I cannot remember if I was using WPA or WPA2. It was the one that uses TKIP.

I am away from that router until Monday. I will try it again then.

I appreviated your assistance.

CT