Waingro

WOL (Wake on LAN (over WAN)) with Linksys WRT610N

I have troubles getting magic packet UDP traffic getting through, due to broadcast incabability. Any one who have a work around?
brickmonkey

Re: WOL (Wake on LAN (over WAN)) with Linksys WRT610N

Did you forwared the ports?
Waingro

Yes I did. But when it has to be forwarded to the entire network *.*.*.255 then the Linksys router will not allow it. The PC is turned off and therefore cannot recieve the magic packet. It works over LAN but not WAN.
mattblack

same problem here - do you have a solution?

thanks

~Matt

jazzmofo

After a couple of hours, I finally found the solution. :smileyhappy:

What didn't work:

- creating a subnet of 255.255.255.128 and trying to broadcast on xxx.xxx.xxx.217

- disabling javascript and submitting xxx.xxx.xxx.255

What did work:

- reserving via DHCP the IP address + MAC address of the machine you want to wake-up and sending the package over port 7 to port 7 (both TCP/UDP) to the machine you want to wake-up. 

Waingro

I've tried that jazzmofo, but it didn't work for me.

Please more info :

1. what software/web-page do you use to send the magic packet?

2. could you insert screenshots of the config in your router (just the ones you change to make it work)

:smileysad:

PLEASE HELP

jazzmofo

[ Edited ]

Hi Waingro, to be honest; I just noticed I own the wrt160n instead of the wrt610n, but nevertheless... it should work.

First be sure your PC can wake up from a WakeOnLan event. I tested this via my iPhone and the iWol application. I set it to sending a wake package over broadcast on my entire network. Therefore I knew my PC can wake up to begin with. 

If I log into to the router configuration I see the SETUP > BASIC SETUP. On that page there is a button called "DHCP Reservations". Before you click it, make sure the radio button with the label "Enabled" (DHCP Server) is ticked. Click on the button and fill out the form in the pop-up. Fill out "Manually Adding Client" (name, IP and MAC address). Click "add". Choose "Save settings" at the bottom of the page.

Now go over to the menu item "Application & Gaming". The page opens on "Single Port Forwarding". There root the external port no 7 to internal port no 7 for both TCP and UDP to the IP of your machine. Tick the box "enable". Choose "Save settings" again. 

I also set a fixed IP address on my Windows XP machine as well. I do not think it is required, but it won't hurt. 

Message Edited by jazzmofo on 09-02-2009 03:07 PM
Message Edited by jazzmofo on 09-02-2009 03:09 PM
aberod

Hello.

The method you described is correct. It is the usual way to configure the WOL on all routers.
I've tried it in my WRT160Nv2 and works perfectly (having well configured PC's BIOS and network card). But the problem is it only works for some time (between 15 and 60 minutes). After that time the router detects that the PC is off and remove PC information in the ARP cache table and then stops working port forwarding for that IP.
In other routers (other brands) it is possible to add manually PC information (MAC address and IP) to the ARP table to activate the port forwarding. This is normally done through Telnet commands and in some routers there is the possibility of doing so in the web configuration. No such options in the Linksys routers.

Other option is discussed above, using Broadcast. But this model doesn't support it.

I don't know more ways to set the WOL in the router. Please, if someone knows...

Waingro

I tested that my PC can WOL over LAN and it did. But nothing happens over WOW (Wake on Wan)

It is really started to bug me, because why not implement such a feature from the factory to help reduce CO2 by saving electricity. My PC don't need to be turned on when I don't use it!!!

HELP LINKSYS! (and others)

aberod

Waingro: I've tried it and operate both WOL and WOW. The problem is what I said, it only works for some time and stops working when the router erase network card information from the ARP cache table.

The only solution is Linklsys do any of these changes in the firmware of the router:
- The addresses (IPs and MACs) made statically in the DHCP allocation table never be erased from the ARP cache table.
- Delete the condition to clear the port forwarding for an IP inactive (deleted from the ARP table).
- Allow the router to broadcast.

Best regards.