Waingro

Re: WOL (Wake on LAN (over WAN)) with Linksys WRT610N

Ok - then I hope that Linksys will rise to the job.
finding_clem0

Does anyone have an update for this? I find if i put my local IP in the DMZ it works fine. That says to me its simply a port forwarding problem, not ARP or broadcast problems. Maybe theres something I am missing?
jazzmofo

[ Edited ]

My solution still works for me:

jazzmofo wrote:

Hi Waingro, to be honest; I just noticed I own the wrt160n instead of the wrt610n, but nevertheless... it should work.

First be sure your PC can wake up from a WakeOnLan event. I tested this via my iPhone and the iWol application. I set it to sending a wake package over broadcast on my entire network. Therefore I knew my PC can wake up to begin with. 

If I log into to the router configuration I see the SETUP > BASIC SETUP. On that page there is a button called "DHCP Reservations". Before you click it, make sure the radio button with the label "Enabled" (DHCP Server) is ticked. Click on the button and fill out the form in the pop-up. Fill out "Manually Adding Client" (name, IP and MAC address). Click "add". Choose "Save settings" at the bottom of the page.

Now go over to the menu item "Application & Gaming". The page opens on "Single Port Forwarding". There root the external port no 7 to internal port no 7 for both TCP and UDP to the IP of your machine. Tick the box "enable". Choose "Save settings" again. 

I also set a fixed IP address on my Windows XP machine as well. I do not think it is required, but it won't hurt.

I however did notice once when my PC was switched off for a longer time (I do not know exactly but >24 hours) it did not switch on. I never noticed an issue within 24 hours though.

Message Edited by jazzmofo on 12-15-2009 04:57 AM
finding_clem0

That doesnt work for me. You have a different model which must make a difference. I tested again and it doesnt even work with my IP in the DMZ. I did what you said, put the machine in the dmz, forwarded ports, still nothing.

h0per

I have WRT-610N v2 with Ver.2.00.00.05 original firmware  (2.00.00 B05 ). Im disable Javascript on OPERA (also truing in FireFox), type address 192.168.1.255  on port maping tab, applying. But linksys dont save changes. Im enable and configure DMZ, im  make compilance MAC to IP in DHCP service; all vain.

Who have other working variants?

knight1fox3

aberod wrote:

Hello.

The method you described is correct. It is the usual way to configure the WOL on all routers.
I've tried it in my WRT160Nv2 and works perfectly (having well configured PC's BIOS and network card). But the problem is it only works for some time (between 15 and 60 minutes). After that time the router detects that the PC is off and remove PC information in the ARP cache table and then stops working port forwarding for that IP.
In other routers (other brands) it is possible to add manually PC information (MAC address and IP) to the ARP table to activate the port forwarding. This is normally done through Telnet commands and in some routers there is the possibility of doing so in the web configuration. No such options in the Linksys routers.

Other option is discussed above, using Broadcast. But this model doesn't support it.

I don't know more ways to set the WOL in the router. Please, if someone knows...

Hi aberod, I know this thread is a bit old, but I am having the same issue you described above with my Linksys WRT610N router.  I have WoL working but it only works between 15 and 60 minutes or so.  After that I can no longer remotely wake up my PC.  Is there anything that can be done to remedy this?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
beemer9

I just bought a WRT610n to replace my WRT54GS.  The new one is 2x as fast on my internet connection.  Faster processor I guess.

I had setup my WRT54GS to allow WOL from the WAN, and it worked well.  The comments re: the ARP table cache flush are correct.  The only way I found to get around that was to replace the router firmware with DD-WRT v23sp2.

This allows retaining specific ARP records, and I was also able to configure a Magic Packet to broadcast over my LAN from the WAN.  I also was able to run a VPN server (included with DD-WRT) so I could make a secure connection to my router.

Just got my WRT610n 2 days ago, so haven't had a chance to play with it much, but DD-WRT is working on a firmware for this.  They have one, but it's still in beta.  I may try it out as I like to have my computer go on standby with the ability to wake it up and log in when I'm traveling.

knight1fox3

beemer9 wrote:

I just bought a WRT610n to replace my WRT54GS.  The new one is 2x as fast on my internet connection.  Faster processor I guess.

I had setup my WRT54GS to allow WOL from the WAN, and it worked well.  The comments re: the ARP table cache flush are correct.  The only way I found to get around that was to replace the router firmware with DD-WRT v23sp2.

This allows retaining specific ARP records, and I was also able to configure a Magic Packet to broadcast over my LAN from the WAN.  I also was able to run a VPN server (included with DD-WRT) so I could make a secure connection to my router.

Just got my WRT610n 2 days ago, so haven't had a chance to play with it much, but DD-WRT is working on a firmware for this.  They have one, but it's still in beta.  I may try it out as I like to have my computer go on standby with the ability to wake it up and log in when I'm traveling.

That is interesting beemer9.  I am not too familiar with using anything but the Linksys default firmware.  How easy is DD-WRT to set up?  I am very familiar with the Linksys interface and find it easy to use and configure.  If DD-WRT is similar or even easier to use, I have no problem giving it a try.  I imagine that flashing the firmware to DD-WRT wipes out all your settings and you have to reconfigure the router.  Does doing this void any warranties?  Can the default firmware be restored if necessary?  In either case, from what you indicated, it sounds like there isn't a DD-WRT firmware yet for the WRT610n (which I also own).  If you decide to try the beta version, I'd be curious to know how that works.  Thanks!  :smileyhappy: