Gigaman8
Accepted Solution

WRE54G Range Expander not working with a WRT610N Router

I'm trying to configue my wre54g range expander to work with my new wrt610n.  I configured the router to perform dual signals G and N.  I've connected my expander directly into a laptop and and manually configured the expander with the needed settings to connect to the router.  When I press "save settings" on the main screen, my browser says " Your changes have been Saved.....Rebooting".  It sits on this screen and goes no where.    I have to then close the browser to get my screen back.  Any suggestions?  Based on other post in thit forum some are able to get it to work and some are not.      
brickmonkey

Re: WRE54G Range Expander not working with a WRT610N Router

Try this -

Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your Expander, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...

1. Connect your Expander to a computer, click on the Start button >>> Settings >>> Control Panel >>> Network Connections - Right click on the icon for Local area connection and go to properties- On the 'General' tab select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' and click on the Properties button- Select 'Use the following IP address'- Provide IP Address - 192.168.1.5, Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0...Click on Ok button to Save and Click on "Close" on main Properties window...

2. Now open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.240.
Leave the Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...It should open your Expander set-up...

3. Once you get to the set-up page you can follow this link to change the Expander Settings...

4. While changing the Expander settings you have to make sure that the Wireless Settings(SSID/Network Name and WEP/WPA Key) are identical on both the devices(Router and Expander)...Also make sure to change the Expander's default IP to match your network and Gateway Address should be your Router's address...ex. Expander's IP Address : 192.168.1.240(assuming your router's default IP Address is 192.168.1.1), Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1...

5. After configuring the Expander you should disconnect it from the Computer and go into Local Area Connection TCP/IP Properties and set it back to Obtain IP Address Automatically...Disconnect the Expander from the computer and power cycle both the devices(Expander and Router)...Your Expander should be configured...
Gigaman8

These are the same steps that I followed before.  All settings were identical to what was specified.  BUT...when saving the entered information, the screens goes into a saved and booting mode and doesn't go any forever. 
brickmonkey

Well i doubt that WRE54G will not work with WRT610N Router. Click Here and check the compatibility chart. If you wish to Expand the wireless network range, then i think you need to get WAP4410N or WAP200, As this both the Access Points works in a Repeater Mode.
Gigaman8

This quote was taken from the product discription page of the WRE54G Ranger Expander:

" The Wireless-G Range Expander is compatible with the Linksys by Cisco WAP54G Access Point, and both Wireless-G and Wireless-N Routers. It works with both Wireless-G and Wireless-B devices so you'll get the benefits of increased coverage, even with a mixed network."

Based upon this statement....it should work.

Gigaman8

It works....after changing my router to mix (G and N), my Range Expander went online.  Issue fixed.
kgranb3

How is compatibility for WRE54G v.2...is it the same as v.3?  Will it also work with a wireless N router?