WRT 1200AC and Killer E2200 network adapter issue

Short story: I have Gigabyte GA-H170-Gaming 3 motherboard with Killer Network E2200 adapter. My first router was D-Link DIR-300 NRU that worked for months without reboots. It was slow (pages opened with several seconds delay, router homepage took more than minute to open), so I decided to buy new one - TP-Link Archer C7. It was fast, but to my surprise it hangs after several days again and again. On their forum was sticky thread with issue with Killer Networks adapters. Unfortunately in V4 version they made locale protected firmware loader and do not bother to upgrade RU firmware. So I added some money and replaced to Linksys WRT1200AC due to positive feedbacks.

To my yet another surprise after using uTorrent 3.4.9 for 2 days I started receiving huge delays while opening internet pages. Speedtest.net tests were failed on upload test. After router reboot it fixed by itself. After that I used uTorrent for 12 hours again. On the next day I checked with speedtest again and upload speed dropped to ~2MBps from expected 60-70. Again after router's reboot it fixed by itself.

So even if Killer networks cards or drivers have some issues Linksys router vulnarable to that. Even after uTorrent turned off and network actvity dropped to 0.

My network environment: cable connected desktop PC Win10-64 Pro with Killer E2200, ASUS X93-S notebook and X96-mini Andriod TV;

wifi: 2 Xiaomi smartphones and HP Elitebook 8730.

Re: WRT 1200AC and Killer E2200 network adapter issue

Killer Networks replied "Keep in mind, it could also be the Ethernet cable itself. The behavior you are describing is typical of bad frames building up in the buffer of a router until the router lacks the resources to continue operating, requiring a power cycle to clear the buffer".

Are routers so fragile that even bad cable able to crush them? And why old cheap D-Link DIR 300 NRU keep working while modern expensive routers hangs?

Hi, VladK! Let's sort this out, is the slow speed true to all devices that you mentioned (wired or wireless)? Also, when you perform to run a speed test, have you tried both wired and wireless connections? Do they have the same results? Make sure that the router and your PC run their latest firmware.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Both wired and wireless were slow or not workinng (happened 3 times). Checked with speedtest via wired: once it was upload 1-2 Mbps instead of normal 70-90 Mbps, twice it was speedtest error on upload. While ping and download were fine.

About ordinal "check you plugged your device and turned power on" : I updated firmware about 10 days ago when I bought router, it latest due to yesterday I checked and there is "no updates", however firmare quite unorthodox and I can't find where to check "About" information.

Since then I unplugged network cable from Killer E2200 and plugged it into Intel CT network adapter - no issues so far (2 weeks). So probably some bad packets made by E2200 can crash router.

Just happened again with Intel CT network adapter. Router was crawling the internet, WoW latency was twice higher than always, huge lags and empty world, speedtest.net page took more that 10 minutes to load. After restart everything fine again. Something wrong with router.

Got that, VladK. To verify, were you able to check the connection behind the modem? If not, you may try that for isolation. Also, you can try to disable the IPv6. Check this link for reference. 

Nestor_C 21974

Connection behind router is fine: after router restart speed returned to normal 96/96 Mbps by speedtest and, since I had this issue with two routers Linksys and TP-Link, I checked it with D-Link DIR-300 NRU - that one was stable for many years and when I was waiting for replacement from TP-Link to Linksys it worked for weeks without issues (except QoS turned off). By reference there solution to turn off QoS in Linksys, but WRT 1200AC have no option to turn it off (I have priority option, there only World of Warcraft set, but even WoW was slow and finally lost connection). I don't think IPv6 related due to my internet connection to provider IPv4 only: static IPv4 address with 2 IPv4 DNS server adresses. My other notebooks and smartphones was either turned off or sleeping all these days. No guest connections or something unexpected in established connections. WiFi WPA2 protected. So it seems my options now is only to try OpenWRT or to find FreeBSD based firmware (somehow my friend got such firmware for his routers). It is weird when you buying new expensive router to replace old cheap one and have opposite results.

Also I have no additional modems - my connection to ISP wired.

Thanks for the details, VladK. Allow us to endorse your case to our escalation engineers so they can check further on the issue. Please email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your contact details (Full Name, Location and Phone Number), community username and a link to this post for reference.

Rosalyn - 21986