Highlighted

WRT110 - Multiple Connection Problem

I set up the WRT110 router as indicated with the documentation/CD. When I connect one laptop to the router, I get an excellent connection. Once a second computer is connected, both connections drop to 1 mb/s and lose all internet access. If one of the computers is disconnected, the connection restores itself. What can I do to fix this?

Re: WRT110 - Multiple Connection Problem

I disabled the function that filters through 802.11b signals, and my problem was remedied for a matter of minutes. I was able to connect multiple wireless devices to the network without causing it to lock up, but the connection eventually dropped. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem. Seems to be occuring on newer firmwares where as I never had an issue with FW 1.0.00

Well try upgrading the firmware of the router & keep on holding tightly the reset button in such a way that power light is blinking on the router & then do a complete network power cycle i.e., unplug the power cables from the modem & from the router & then plug in the power cable to the modem first once all the lights are solid green you could plug in the power cable to the router & check out it will definately work!!

Also, check out there might some utility on your pc..if yes try connecting using the utility & it should be able to go online wirelessly!!!

HELP! Im so frustrated, Im about to return this router to the store!! I solely purchased it in order to be able to run both mine & my mothers laptop wirelessly at the same time, connected to the internet. I dont need any of the "advance" features... JUST WANT TO CONNECT MULTIPLE COMPUTERS TO THE INTERNET AT THE SAME TIME!!

Both laptops run Vista and are new.

Like you, the set up went beautifully (too good obviously) and when just one of the laptops is on, the internet is good with full strenght. The moment I turn on the 2nd wireless laptop, the entire system shuts down. They both show full connection to modem at times but error messages pop up and no hope of getting back online. I have to then WAIT to get the one back on by itself.

What is the issue here???

Is there some different things I can try??

I already tried resetting and the tech from linkys said i have the latest firmware before he supposidly did some kind of flashing or something to the router.. which caused me to lose connection completely (even with the one computer) so i had to start all over with loading cd and setting up again.

STILL same issue!!

Can you guys give me some DETAILED things to try?

I am having similar issues. I have been told by the Linksys rep that it is an issue with the new FW. Any one who has been able to solve this issue?

I don't have this issue. It must be something very specific to the configurations of the routers that do. List what your config and settings look like for comparison purposes.

I had the same exact problem, and I've seen it mentioned numerous times on these forums as well.  My own solution was to download the WRT100 1.0.0.2 firmware, and downgrade the 1.0.0.4 firmware to that.  Apparently the 1.0.0.2 version of the firmware works correctly for both the WRT100 and the WRT110, and apparently the 1.0.0.4 version, well, doesn't work at all.  See here for more details: http://blog.wouldbetheologian.com/2008/12/warning-on-linksys-wrt110-firmware.html.

I have to say, I'm very unimpressed that Cisco has had since May to fix this, and hasn't even acknowledged that it's a problem.  I specifically bought a Linksys because I assumed that Cisco of all companies would know how to build reliable routers.  Wow does that not appear to be the case. 

I have 4 WiFi PC's, one wired PC, one wired print server, 2 iPods (WiFi), 2 wired VoIP TA's and a WiFi Xbox360 connected to my WRT110. I do not have the problems you describe where 2 connections knocks one of them off. Clearly it's either something bizarre with your clients (Vista perhaps?, Incompatible client side NIC's?...). All of the client side WiFi adapters are 802.11g -> Intel or Realtek among them and whatever iPod and Xbox360 uses natively. I use WEP-128 using a handcoded hex key. I also use a VPN software tunneler. Everything is DHCP except for the print server which gets a static IP. The PC clients are all WinXPSP2 or SP3 or Win2000SP5. Client protocols are TCP/IP only (& AEGIS 802.1x), no Netbios, no MS networking client, no MS file/print sharing. Most unneeded client services are manual or disabled, e.g. workstation and server, autoupdate, BIDS and many more. I open ports 88 and 3074 TCP/UDP bidirectionally on the router. Uplink connection is to a Moto Surfboard SB5101 with a default LAN side IP 192.168.100.1. Router gateway IP address is also default. I have the wireless side set to wideband = off, standard band, auto = off, fixed to channel 11, 2.462Ghz.

Router FW is latest prod version.

And that's it. It works. 

My point isn't that 1.0.0.4 will never work, but rather, that apparently a number of people out there have found consistent scenarios where it won't.  I don't know whether 1.0.0.4 fails 1% of the time or 99%, but there's absolutely nothing weird about my scenario, and it failed badly and consistently, and it's worked consistently once I rolled back to 1.0.0.2.

FWIW, I'm running Vista on a laptop (802.11g) and a desktop (802.11n), both using DHCP, no security on the wireless network, and everything else on the router configured pretty much exactly as it came out of the box.