Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
duckstardeluxe

WRT110 not "compatible" with Windows 7?

Hi,

I just changed my netgear router to a Linksys WRT110 and have issues getting Windows 7 to work with the router. This it not a wireless issue, as the problem also is when connected to the router via a patch cable.

The thing is, that the router works fine with windows 7, as long as there is no other computers connected. Conneting my wife's Vista PC makes both computers stop working with the router. Pinging the router gives a "destination host unreachable" from the NIC.

Disabling the wireless/or lan NIC on the Windows 7 PC, makes the Vista PC work again.

I've digged into the issue and found, that the DHCP server in the WRT110 gives the Windows 7 PC a 192.168.1.100 adress, but the Vista machine a 192.168.1.2 address. Isn't this wierd?

I've tried to reserve an ip adress for the Windows 7 PC, but the isssue is the same- no response from the default gateway. The funny thing is, at the wireless connection seems fine and the IP address on the clients are OK, but the router doesn't respond in the route when tracing.

The windows 7 PC worked fine with my older router.

I tried to reconfigure my old router with a whole different subnet (172.16.0.1 with 255.255.255.0) and connect it to the WRT110 and connect the Windows 7 to the old router via wireless. This caused the Linksys WRT110 to stop responding again. 

This in my opinion points to the fact that the Linksys WRT110 is uncompatible with Windows 7.

The firmware in the router is version 1.0.0.4 wich should be the latest.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Anders Damkjær 

Mort

Re: WRT110 not "compatible" with Windows 7?

I think first you need to remove the static ip from your Vista computer, Thats the reason your Vista computer is not able to go online thorugh linksys Router.

To remove static Ip from the Computer.... Go to Network and Sharing Center.... Click on Manage Network Connections.... Right Click on your Wireless Network connection... Click on Properties.... Select Internet Protocal TCP/IP V4 and select as Obatin IP address Automaticaly. This will solve your Problem.

duckstardeluxe

[ Edited ]

No, the Vista computer isn't set up to static IP - the IP address is givin by DHCP by the Linksys router. That is one of the funny things: DHCP is setup to give adresses from 192.168.0.2 (the router has .0.1) and the Vista uses 0.2 where the Windows 7 machine uses .100 - it should use just .0.3. This is the only sign of something being wrong I can find.

Message Edited by duckstardeluxe on 02-01-2009 11:16 PM
Mort

Please Check the Physical connection and make sure the Modem is connected to the Internet Port on the Linksys Router and your computers are connected to one of the 4 ports on the Router.

Dugbert

I am  having the same issue. Two laptops, both with Windows 7 and using dhcp. Only one can connect to the wireless network at a time.

WRT110: Firmware: 1.0.04 build 10

Any ideas? Does Linksys Tech Support check this forum?

DoubleDAZ

[ Edited ]

I also have the same problem.  I have had up to 6 notebooks connected to my network, currently I have 3 and a printer.  I bought an emachines notebook to replace one.  It runs Windows 7 and the others still run Vista.  As soon as I power up the new computer and the wireless adapter starts, the network goes down.  If I turn off the new computer (or just the adapter), the network comes back.  I can reproduce this at will.

I've already exchanged one computer thinking it was a bad adapter.  When I got the new one, I contacted their customer support.  I was told it was a known issue and I needed to upgrade the drivers.  I did this and I still have the problem.  I noticed Linksys now has a driver upgrade for the WRT100 to version 1.0.05.  There is nothing in the release notes to indicate it solves any problem with Windows 7.  Has anyone with the problem done the upgrade to fix it?  My router is buried behind stuff and I don't want to upgrade if it's not a solution.  TIA.

Cheers, Dave

Message Edited by DoubleDAZ on 12-03-2009 12:30 PM
Skibumtx

Same issue here - chased it for three weeks - ended up buying a new router.  Everything seems fine now.....

Ski

DoubleDAZ

There is no way I am going to buy a new router to work with Windows 7.   My router is not that old and works fine with everything but this emachime notebook.  Did you try the updated driver (1.0.05)?  And, FWIW, what router did you buy?
Dugbert

Ok, I have done some more research on this. Windows 7 is the first operating system to want to use IPv6 instead of IPv4 like we are accustomed to. Because of this, Windows 7 first attempts to connect via IPv6, and if it cannot, then it will downgrade the network to connect with a standard IPv4 address.

I have tested both of my Windows 7 laptops at work and they are fine, but we are using high-end Cisco 1200 series access points ($900/ea.).

Unless I am missing something in the setup screens, I see nothing about IPv6 addressing. So Linksys would have to release a firmware update to handle IPv6. This may be what firmware 1.0.05 includes.

I will look at this some more when I get home tonight.

duckstardeluxe

I never found a solution for the problem, but ended up buying another router from Jensen/Edimax. Had no problems with Win7 pc's.