Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Drevi

WRT120N Can't connect to the internet - WAN led always on

I used this router for a year no problem, then I got a modem-router. Now, 2 years later I tried to set up the router and my old modem again and didn't work.

Was strange, as both modem and router were in a box for 2 years and were working fine before I put em there, how could any config could be changed?
Anyways I tried everything you could think of to make it work, but I couldn't.

No matter if I config (both the router and modem) to work as ppoe or as DHCP, the router just won't connect to the internet.
I'm sure I configured everything right, both in modem and router (tried the CD asist several times, too). 
Firmware was last version. Downgraded to .05 to see if that could be the issue, but no luck. 

Something I think might be related is the WAN led. It's always on, even if nothing is plugged in the WAN port. I don't remember if it was always like this, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't... And doesn't make any sense that the light should be on if nothing is plugged there. 

My modem is working, direct to the computer and using another router.
Also I've tried the linksys whit  4 different adls modems, in 2 different houses. So I'm 100% sure it's a router issue, not related to the adsl line, modem, or computer.

beautifulbeatrice

Re: WRT120N Can't connect to the internet - WAN led always on

[ Edited ]

It is possible that the IP address of the ADSL modem and the Linksys router are conflicting. The modem might have its router capability enabled and it is giving a private IP just like your Linksys router. To avoid the conflict, change the LAN IP of your router to 10.10.10.1. By the way, it is not advisable to downgrade the firmware. It is better if you use the latest firmware. So, you need to upgrade, reset and reconfigure the router.

Changing the router’s LAN IP address

Drevi

It is possible that the IP address of the ADSL modem and the Linksys router are conflicting. 

No. I use 192.168.1.1 for the modem and .100 for the router. Also tried using the router on 192.168.2.1 and the modem on 192.168.1.1 and viceversa. 

The modem might have its router capability enabled and it is giving a private IP just like your Linksys router. 

No. When I set the router to ppoe I disable all routing and dhcp options on the modem. 

To avoid the conflict, change the LAN IP of your router to 10.10.10.1. By the way, it is not advisable to downgrade the firmware. It is better if you use the latest firmware. So, you need to upgrade, reset and reconfigure the router.

I did it as a last option. I've spent so many hours trying every config possible. 

Anyways already updated to latest and reconfigured using the IP you suggested. Still not working. 

Something weird, is that sometimes it does work. Like if I power cycle the router and modem and I keep doing it (talking about like 50 times), then maybe one of the times it will detect the modem and give conection to my pc. 

Then if I turn it off again, it won't work the next time I power on.

fresh19

If the modem works okay connected to another router but not on this WRT120N then, I believe the issue is with the WRT120N now. If you already reset the router, reconfigure the settings, and updated the firmware but get the same problem, then I suggest, you buy a new one.

Drevi

At this point I think the only reasonable explanation is that is a hardware issue. 

The WAN port must be broken, or in short circuit and thats why the WAN led is always on.

luce.evening.star

That might be it,a hardware problem. Check the power adapter if it is the correct one. The correct power specification for this router is 12V 1A. Try to plug it in to another power outlet or use another power adapter with the same power specification. If you have tried those and just the same then it is really a hardware issue.

Drevi

It's the adapter that came with the router. I will see if I find another with the same specifications to try or at least will measure with a power meter (don't know how to call it in english, is a a device that measures electricity and stuff) to be sure is working right. 

luce.evening.star

That is actually a good idea. It is called I believe electrical test meter. Do try, if you can, to use another power adapter with the same power specification. I hope that the issue you are having with the router gets resolved but if the hardware is really defective then I suggest you buy a new one.