rwheindl
Accepted Solution

WRT120N PPTP VPN Port

I'm attempting to connect to the network through Microsoft PPTP VPN on port 1723, however when I add it to "Applications and Gaming" on the router (chosen from the drop down menu), it shows up as port 1720 and will not connect. If I manually port forward 1723 below, it still will not connect. If I add my IP address as a DMZ, it successfully connects. I started with firmware 1.0.04 and updated to 1.0.06 and it fails with both firmware versions and the built in PPTP setting still shows as port 1720. What should I do?

rwheindl

Re: WRT120N PPTP VPN Port

FYI, VPN pass through is enabled and DMZ is not an option as we will not know the client source IP addresses.

Brenda

sounds like a bug to me...

try to re-flash the 1.0.06 firmware then do the hard reset..let us see from there..

Why is DMZ not an option?

I don't understand it. You forward port 1723 to your VPN server inside your network. Fine. Or you set that IP address into the DMZ. Fine.

What has that to do with the client source IP address?
rwheindl

[ Edited ]

With this router, I can either choose to allow ALL IP addresses to the DMZ system or specify a range of IP addresses (which I won't know because the remote connections will be potentially comming from anywhere), however my tests with DMZ enabled allow the VPN to connect successfully but that's irrelevant because my client could be coming from any IP and I don't want to open this server to anything and everything out on the internet,

OR

Port forward just PPTP to the IP of the server, which is broken. This is what I would like to know if there is a fix for. Why does it show up as 1720. It should be 1723, I think the firmware is not programmed correctly. And when I manually port forward 1723, the VPN still does not connect.

Expert
Expert

If you enable the logs, do you see the incoming 1723 packets.

So far it sounds to me just like this bug: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Cable-and-DSL/PPTP-passthrough-WAG320n-problem/td-p/451991
panzies4panties

Can you VPN through that port with just trying to plug into the modem? What type of ISP and modem do you have?

rwheindl

It's DSL, I can't recall the modem. Went the Cisco support route and determined the router was bad. The agent said these model routers are known to have transport issues. I replaced it with a different model router and all is well. They never admitted that the PPTP setting was programmed with the wrong port, but whatever, the issue got resolved via different device.

Cisco's giving me the run-around about replacing it so in an effort to preserve my time, I plan to use it in a home network that doesn't need PPTP support or any other special settings. Just using this device as a basic router with simple port forwarding works fine. I suspect the real problem with my router is the vpn pass-through is actually not working. It seemed to be timing out when it was supposed to establish GRE. Oh well, moving on. Thanks for the responses everyone!

choffy

There seems to be a problem with is router. I had a problem. At home I have a XP PC and a WRT120N. On the remote location a Draytek 2200E with VPN server enabled. Sometimes no VPN connection possible. Switching the WRT off/on and than one time possible to setup the PPTP. Second time fails. Replacing the WRT120N by another Draytek 2200E (home side) and now all OK. The seems to be a bug in the PPTP passthough software. :smileysad:

rwheindl

[ Edited ]

I agree. It's definitely a bug. I replaced the router with an E2000 with the exact same config and everything works perfectly.